Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:35 PM

86 posts, read 373,888 times

Advertisements

As a teacher, I am always trying to find new ways of teaching, new ways of reaching students, and new ways to help them connect to the material. So, what helped you? What made the light bulb come on? How did you finally "get it"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,252,851 times
What are you teaching? Math, history or english at a high school level or First Grade reading?

The teachers that "got through" to me were those that acted as if they enjoyed the classroom and were doing more than just passing time. I was one of the lucky ones that never had any problems learning. My problem was tolerating a teacher that acted as if everyone in the class was incapable of coherent thought.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,354,530 times
Trust

When I was in school if a teacher was negative no way was I even mentally in that room.......In college I was the girl who got up walked out of classes the minute a teacher went negative ... I lost interest real fast this way.

The teacher that told me I could do it >> I believe in you ..... won me over!

Have you ever heard of Dr. Becky Bailey's Loving Guidance.. Its more geared for younger but there are things she talks about with older children ........
It works it really works

and if your having issues with one student ........... start looking at that one student deeper!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:52 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,404,332 times
I've always been a history buff, but I remember when I was in high school, one of my history teachers used to read short stories about different experiences of teenagers in the time periods that we were studying. I also remember him talking about just the day-to-day differences of life then vs. now. I thought this was much more effective than just spending days of talking about 'This king did this and then this General did such and such...' In some ways, it's all about taking a subject and trying to relate it to the students on a more personal level.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:31 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,405,591 times
A teacher that I truly respected and that really knew their stuff. Wouldn't matter if they were tough or not. Tough teachers get respected but hard to be tough and not come across as mean. I had some just plain mean old lady teachers too. And believe me, I was not the kind of student where you had to be mean to - I was national honor society. These women just couldn't turn off the mean though.

Some teachers just go through the motions and that annoys me. Like when they just read out of their books.

In history, it was when the teachers related what went on in history to correlate it to what is happening in today's world.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:46 PM

86 posts, read 373,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
What are you teaching? Math, history or english at a high school level or First Grade reading?
I teach high school math. More specifically, I am teaching Pre-Algebra and Geometry right now.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:52 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,354,530 times
Sorry wouldnt want your teaching job .. thats the subject that I have heard my kids scream over ..........

But I do know my daughter hates when teachers compare things that are not even related to math .. Ill get an example from her and post (IF I remember)

Old 09-05-2007, 03:48 PM

673 posts, read 3,152,719 times
I know I struggled in math especially in high school. I had the best math teacher though. Even though I was doing horrible in his class he never gave up on me. He met me before class and stayed with me after class and we really tried to work out my mental problem with math. I ended up doing alot better than if I wouldnt have had any help. He was patient and understanding and if he knew what I did today (I'm a designer and use numbers and geometry all the time) he'd flip!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,210,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HI View Post
I teach high school math. More specifically, I am teaching Pre-Algebra and Geometry right now.
Well, I can say from experience as a student that there really is no way to get the class's attention and motivate them to want to learn math... unless they want to.

However, you can entice them with interesting "prizes" for getting all of the homework done, getting a certain percentage or higher on a test, etc. Things such as "get out of homework free" cards worked in high school fairly well.

In Calculus one time, our teacher told us that if everybody got an "A" on a test... then she would allow us to have two class periods of "do whatever you want." We did it. And one of those days, she taught a few of us how to crochet. It was kinda cool.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 AM

72 posts, read 104,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
Trust
and if your having issues with one student ........... start looking at that one student deeper!
I agree-- getting to know each other better and actually having an personal understanding beyond schoolwork really does make a world of difference in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education