Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,075 times

Advertisements

Over the top consequence - yes (assuming there is no prior history of this type of thing.) Silly policy. No warning? No time to investigate the "incident?" No common sense is allowed to be used anywhere these days for fear of not being "fair" to ALL! Sad. But, the lesson to be learned is parents need to really spend some time talking and reviewing the school policies, even if you don't agree with them, with their kids not only at the beginning of the school year but periodically throughout the year, cause obviously, common sense, past record and warnings are a thing of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 03:44 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,191 times
Geez, She might as well had just kept her daughter home for a sick day or 2.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLRowe View Post
The school did not give her a warning or a verbal counseling they just suspended her from school after they held her in the principal office most of the day. I agree that there needs to be policies in place but sometimes they take it to extremes. It was not in-school suspension.
While I understand this seems like a huge change from when most of us were in school (back in the dark ages before people sued over everything ), the "warning" is likely printed clearly in your school's rule handbook, which is sent home to parents on the first day. As other posters have pointed out, the school can be held liable for your daughter dispensing cough drops (which contain medicine) if it was to harm another student through a bad reaction. This is why OTC medicine must be provided by the parent only for their child and dispensed through the nurse.

While I feel sorry for all involved, it is up to the parents to read and comply with school policies.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:30 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
How stupid, teachers used to bring cough drops for students when we were young. Most of my friends used to eat them because they tasted good. All of these rules are starting to go crazy.. why are we trying to control every aspect of our lives from childhood?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Wow, this is really what they are fussing about in American schools! Don't they have enough problems as it is already? Suspended for giving somebody a Halls tablet?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:36 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Look, the days when teachers used to smack kids and OTC drugs were freely dispensed by anyone are long gone. It may be a surprise to people that haven't had kids in school for a long time or perhaps have kids too young for school or aren't parents, but really this is not a new thing. We have to sign the school handbook every year agreeing that we've read and understand all the rules including not giving our kids cough drops or aspirin. It's not like any of this is a surprise if you are just moderately paying attention. And the reason these rules came about? Because someone did become sick from a friend giving out their personal medication. When I was young, we were about the only kids that routinely wore seat belts but I don't know anyone now that thinks going without a seat belt is okay.

Sometimes change is a good thing.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLRowe View Post
The school did not give her a warning or a verbal counseling they just suspended her from school after they held her in the principal office most of the day. I agree that there needs to be policies in place but sometimes they take it to extremes. It was not in-school suspension.
Ok, people really need to get over the idea that a warning or verbal counseling are required over what some handbooks may consider gross negligence. There's probably a caveat regarding disciplinary steps in there.

If you come to work late, verbal warning. If you dispense drugs, do not pass GO. (I don't consider them "drugs," per say, but the school rules do).

Again, I think the rule is silly. However, your arguments against the rule don't hold water. (I mean you as in the OP, not everyone replying).

Old 02-12-2011, 02:00 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Our public schools are turning into prisons.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
It's got nothing to do with prison-like environments, dumb rules, whether or not people regularly overdose on OTC lozenges, etc. It's just a school district CYA. Blame litigious, opportunistic parents, looking to cash in on something oh-so-wealthy as public school districts.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:54 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,648 times
"She was held at the principals office most of the day" O my gosh, this is so rediculous...They acted like she had commited a crime. This is so over the top....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education