Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,209 times

Advertisements

Nursing has many more options than other healthcare fields. Nursing is a great degree. More openings right now than other allied health fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 06:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
My son is going into funeral science, that is less than a 2 year degree, and he already has job offers...

Old 11-03-2010, 08:04 PM

86 posts, read 428,369 times
A lot of hospitals need nurses.... But due to the economy a lot of hospitals put caps on how many nurses they could have (so basically hospitals have a limited budget that they can have to pay their nurses). A lot of hospitals are cutting corners and getting rid of nurses aids and putting more responsibility on other healthcare workers to pick up the slack like PT and OTs. Pharmacy is a good field but that job market is becoming saturated as well and I heard that they extended their program to 7 years (might as well become a doctor).

Look into a career field where you will get a license. I believe that a license will provide more of a stability than a bachelors degree. I read an article where they stated that careers that are here to stay are law enforcement, school teachers, nurses and doctors. But really due to the economy a lot of career paths seem unstable.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 PM

812 posts, read 1,907,517 times
I am a Respiratory Therapist. Granted it isn't as option filled as nursing but I don't think it is as stressful and does have some options-- hospital, home health, long term ventilator facility, sleep lab tech, pulmonary function and rehab...I actually have an office job now doing oxygen testing remotely over the phone. I love it!!!

My pay has always been good for the amt of work I have to actually perform. I also have a bachelor's degree and worked as a Software Tester full time while going to school. I took a bit of a pay cut but I am much more fulfilled and enjoy helping people--especially my elderly clients!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeerioS View Post
A lot of hospitals need nurses.... But due to the economy a lot of hospitals put caps on how many nurses they could have (so basically hospitals have a limited budget that they can have to pay their nurses). A lot of hospitals are cutting corners and getting rid of nurses aids and putting more responsibility on other healthcare workers to pick up the slack like PT and OTs. Pharmacy is a good field but that job market is becoming saturated as well and I heard that they extended their program to 7 years (might as well become a doctor).

Look into a career field where you will get a license. I believe that a license will provide more of a stability than a bachelors degree. I read an article where they stated that careers that are here to stay are law enforcement, school teachers, nurses and doctors. But really due to the economy a lot of career paths seem unstable.
To become a nurse, you have to get a degree, at least an AAS. You get the license by passing the NCLEX exam.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nursing jobs are tight right now, for the first time in my 40 year nursing career. Part of the reason is the recession. Supposedly this is a male-oriented recession, so as men lose their jobs, their spouses are keeping theirs, and not taking time off to raise families, etc. This should resolve as the recession eases, and the OP will have to be in school for at least two years anyway.
Do you think this tightness in the nursing field is a result of our nation having an increasing number of nurses or of hospitals trying to cut down on their labor costs?

I have wondered about the outlook for jobs in the health care field. Health care does not exist in a vacuum. If Americans are unemployed and don't have health insurance or inadequate health insurance, doesn't it make sense that they would have less money to spend on health care and that thus fewer health care workers would be needed? It seems like there must be a decrease in the demand for any discretionary health care consumption.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM

I think the main reason nursing jobs are tight is what I said in the post you quoted: the recession. I've read a number of articles stating that this is a "male" recession, ie, more men than women are getting laid off. The recession seems to be worst in areas that employ a lot of men: construction and all its related areas such as electricians, plumbers, painters and the like; IT which has been outsourced into oblivion, and so on. So the nurses who are the spouses of these people hang on to their jobs when they might otherwise take some time off to raise their families, retire early and such. People losing health insurance isn't helping, either. There are not a lot of new jobs being created at the moment.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think the main reason nursing jobs are tight is what I said in the post you quoted: the recession. I've read a number of articles stating that this is a "male" recession, ie, more men than women are getting laid off. The recession seems to be worst in areas that employ a lot of men: construction and all its related areas such as electricians, plumbers, painters and the like; IT which has been outsourced into oblivion, and so on. So the nurses who are the spouses of these people hang on to their jobs when they might otherwise take some time off to raise their families, retire early and such. People losing health insurance isn't helping, either. There are not a lot of new jobs being created at the moment.
Good post; I do believe that EVENTUALLY many of these young nursing graduates will find work, if for no other reason than simple demographics: our nation is getting older, and will require more care , as a general statement. They might have to wait a little, though because many older nurses are holding onto their jobs for the paycheck AND the corresponding health insurance benefits, for themselves and their families.

I have to admit, as I walk through the large teaching hospital where I work, that I don't see a large number of VERY young nurses; some, to be sure, but not overwhelming..

Old 11-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Good post; I do believe that EVENTUALLY many of these young nursing graduates will find work, if for no other reason than simple demographics: our nation is getting older, and will require more care , as a general statement. They might have to wait a little, though because many older nurses are holding onto their jobs for the paycheck AND the corresponding health insurance benefits, for themselves and their families.

I have to admit, as I walk through the large teaching hospital where I work, that I don't see a large number of VERY young nurses; some, to be sure, but not overwhelming..
My friend's daughter, new grad, found a job after about 9 months of looking. She did work at a nursing home until she found a hospital job, and it wasn't in the area she wanted (peds), but it's a start.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Health Information Management or Technology!!!!!! Google it if you do not believe! Alise - have you considered polysomnography (sleep tech)??? Another high demand job, perfect for RRTs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education