Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 PM

9 posts, read 27,474 times

Advertisements

I am interested in starting a home based business but could use some input of what resources are out there that could help me get started. Any recommendations of books, websites or someone to contact that could provide this information? Thanks.

KH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:48 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,695,144 times
Start first with city and county offices to check for zoning laws and/or permits needed to operate a business from your home. Then contact your local BBB to get info on business to avoid and/or other help they can give you.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:10 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,224,340 times
start with basics ... there's a "small business for dummies" series book out at your local bookstore or at Amazon that spells out a lot of the stuff in detail.

very important to know that your home is zoned for the business you're planning.

IMO, forget the BBB. Worthless self-promoters who simply want your membership money.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 AM

I am ordering the book, Home based business for Dummies along with a few other such books to help me get started. How would that work if I live in an apartment? Would I need to contact my leasing consultant to get permission or would using my "home" which is an apartment not work out? Any ideas would be great! I would rather not have to lease an office or a space, just do it from home preferably. Thanks.

KH

Old 06-09-2010, 03:19 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,754,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxh3011 View Post
I am ordering the book, Home based business for Dummies along with a few other such books to help me get started. How would that work if I live in an apartment? Would I need to contact my leasing consultant to get permission or would using my "home" which is an apartment not work out? Any ideas would be great! I would rather not have to lease an office or a space, just do it from home preferably. Thanks.

KH
If you are just talking a home office and you are not manufacturing tires in your living room it probably won't matter. Most cities now have licensing for home offices. Most of the time the person you get when you call AAA for a tow are sitting in their living room and work for themselves. If for some reason you can't hang your license at you residence you can always rent one of the boxes just for this purpose at a mail box place. Usually the one restriction on home office is you can't have employees or see customers there.
Now I am going to say something and I don't want to be giving you bad advice but just something for you to think about.
My experience has been with many things, if I ask about something I may hear a no. If I don't ask no one ever tells me I have to stop. In most any case the worst that can happen is you are told to stop. No one is going to haul you off to jail. I once had a building with a Murial on the side of it. An artist offered to up date it for free just to have his work on a main Hi way.
He went to the city to get the permit and they told him it was too big and he could only cover 20% of the wall.

The current one that was up there covered 100% of the wall. So we decided not to do it. mean time city workers passed my building thousands of times and the current picture (That I painted without any permit) had been there for years. Still no one ever came and told me I was in any violation and as far as I know it is still there. I haven't owned the building for years.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the advice! I do appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics