Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,753,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylou821 View Post
2 years ago i started working for a big company. I was offered to join a 401K plan and I did.

2 mos. ago several of us were sent a letter along with a refund ck from our 401k plan. We were told they we didn't quailfity for the plan and we were all sent our money that had been taken out with payroll deductions.

Skip ahead to this week and we all get a letter saying "oops sorry" we made a mistake and you really do quaifity for the plan so please mail us the money back!! Now we had all gotten a 1099 form for this money, this same money, our money that had been taken out of our paycheck.

So how can they say they want to back?? It was our money anyway..suppose we don't mail it back? Many of us already paid bills off with it. What can they do??

Need answers asap [please!!
Was it ever put into a 401k? If it was you need to replace it or you will have to pay penalties. What does your W2 show? Is there a difference between your federal wages and your social security wages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
Screw-ups like this happen... I wanted to roll-over my 401k when the company was sold... I was repeatedly told that it was not possible... even though my CPA said it was...

18 months later... the company said it goofed and we had to roll-over the money...

If it can go wrong... it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics