Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:02 PM

975 posts, read 1,757,367 times

Advertisements

I have to admit I'm more than a little surprised about just how strong 3rd qt earnings have been so far. A lot of good numbers so far and some from rather unlikely names.

Kind of hard to invision the economy blowing up with so many corporate balance sheets looking fairly strong, expenses under control, and profit margins rising.

It's becoming more obvious everyday that corporate America doesn't need nearly as many people as they had on the payrolls a few years ago. That isn't good news for those unemployed I'm afraid, but at least our corporations seem pretty healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 07:09 AM

Holy moly!

Miscrosoft absolutely crushed it. What a massive, massive surprise and easily the best earnings report of the quarter and this is ahead of a new product release mind you. A product no one is excited about.

The naysayers have lost. You guys look stupid as hell now. Game over. Anytime Microsoft can put up great numbers things can't be that bad.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
you're crazy if you think nobody is excited about Windows 7.

as far as 3Q earnings go, what does that prove? that is just one quarter.

I do agree with you that it appears corporate america has higher productivity, having eliminated employees, debt, and capacity it doesn't need.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:29 AM

One quarter doesn't prove anything. However, when a company like MSFT can put up blow out numbers then clearly the economy isn't crashing into 3rd world status.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 AM

I'm not sure that 3rd world status is on the radar right now.

I think the fear is that we have still not figured out what the "new normal" is in terms of sustainable overall demand.

I'm no expert, but people have been saying for about 6 months to expect solid 3q earnings and weak 4q earnings.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I guess you haven't been reading the posts from Flsandy, Jimhcom, tallrick, etc., which only makes me wish I was as lucky as you...LOL!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,635,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

I think the fear is that we have still not figured out what the "new normal" is in terms of sustainable overall demand.

I'm no expert, but people have been saying for about 6 months to expect solid 3q earnings and weak 4q earnings.

Agreed. 3rd world status? I don't think anyone thinks that, imo we are a long ways off from a recovery though. Also, as Rubber put it, we will be trying to figure out what the new normal is going forward.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
I guess you haven't been reading the posts from Flsandy, Jimhcom, tallrick, etc., which only makes me wish I was as lucky as you...LOL!
I use the ignore feature liberally, so you are correct, i haven't been reading those posts.

Last edited by le roi; 10-23-2009 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,300,141 times
Before you get too excited about 3rd quarter, better take into account how much of these earnings are being derived from cost cuts and tax write offs. These things may be able to boost earnings for a quarter or two, but it is pretty hard to grow a company by cutting. Real growth comes from increasing gross sales, and there will not be too much of that going on for a while. Besides the reporting season is not over and the positive news always comes out first, the negitive news is yet to come.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:05 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,802,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Holy moly!

Miscrosoft absolutely crushed it. What a massive, massive surprise and easily the best earnings report of the quarter and this is ahead of a new product release mind you. A product no one is excited about.

The naysayers have lost. You guys look stupid as hell now. Game over. Anytime Microsoft can put up great numbers things can't be that bad.
How was this such a surprise? All those people who were laid off needed to go out and buy computers to replace the computer access they lost at work. Apple had a great quarter as well, but it's a little too early to know if their growth was more than a one time windfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics