Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:39 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I can tell you first hand that the commercial real estate market is indeed full of problems, lots and lots of them. Do you think the owners of all of those empty Circuit Cities, CompUSA's, Movie Galleries, Dilliards are paying their mortgages?
I don't know...doesn't the cookie monster pay in that case? I'll say it again, I'm talking about systemic risk. The problems in commercial real estate are unlikely to produce the same sorts of systemic issues that almost brought down the financial system in the summer of 2008. I never claimed there are not "problems", just that these problems are unlikely to pose the same sort of systemic issues as the residential mortgage markets did.

Quote:
Was there a point to all of this babble? You can profit from volatile stocks, you can profit from non volatile stocks, you can lose money, I mean seriously, whats your point?
It was a response to your babble, yeah see...babble in babble out.

Quote:
It doesnt take looking at indexes to find out that retail sales are down, auto sales are down, to know what way the price of fuel is going. No one really needs to look at an index and doing so could actually lead one to mis-guide the industry.
Again so? Whether you want to pay attention to the major indexes or not depends on what you're doing, i.e., their relevance is directly related to what you are doing in the market. So...great they are not relevant to your stock gambling strategy. Telling me what you had for lunch yesterday may perhaps be more relevant to trading than knowing what you look at.

Quote:
I'm not investing in indexes, or the DJIA, or the S&P, I'm investing in ONE company from one segment of an index and all I care about is that one company.....
Oh yeah....now I wonder why you are typing all this irrelevant drivel instead of telling me about your lunch. I bet you had a roast beef sandwich, you seem like the roast beef sandwich type of guy. Me? I had subway....spicy Italian with a chocolate chip cookie to be exact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,205,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Soooo.

Are you all going to jump out before the October to Christmas 2009 crash?
Fail.

Wanna try for 2010?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:28 AM

106,775 posts, read 108,997,702 times
or 2011 ,0r 2012.. even a broken watch can be right 2x a day....

someone needs a new crystal ball. my portfolio just broke a new all time high last week

Old 10-28-2010, 02:46 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,654,737 times
It really doesn't matter what your portfolio is at until you consider getting out of the market. If you stay in and the market drops then what did it matter how high it once was. If it keeps going up you still have to have plans for a time to get out if your considering on pulling the money out at some point.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:53 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,205,828 times
Well I wasn't really claiming it mattered, was just following the instructions of the "hold doomsdayers accountable" thread.

However you bring up a good point. I think portfolio amount matters for planning purposes, as despite unknowns in the future it can give you a better gauge of where you stand as you make financial decisions related to assets. If I've got $10,000 in the market or $2,000,000 dollars in the market either one could fall 20% by next month but with the latter I might be spending more time researching appropriate asset allocations for retirement phase etc.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:13 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,654,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Well I wasn't really claiming it mattered, was just following the instructions of the "hold doomsdayers accountable" thread.

However you bring up a good point. I think portfolio amount matters for planning purposes, as despite unknowns in the future it can give you a better gauge of where you stand as you make financial decisions related to assets. If I've got $10,000 in the market or $2,000,000 dollars in the market either one could fall 20% by next month but with the latter I might be spending more time researching appropriate asset allocations for retirement phase etc.
Agreed. My point was simply that you could say you got $2 million but it doesn't matter until you take it out or put it somewhere more conservative. So although its nice that your "paper statements" came back until you do something with it anything can or could happen.

Even if the market goes down quite a bit, if your young this can be a good opportunity to buy. The people that should be concerned are the ones close to retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics