Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:53 PM

45,452 posts, read 60,666,498 times

Advertisements

Any tax on a business becomes a pass through to the customer. Any and every one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Maybe there should be warning labels on unhealthy foods, too, as there are on tobacco and alcohol...
Like cheese? For causing heart disease?

The scary thing is it almost sounds like you are actually serious!!!

You can't see that this is getting out of control? Where do you stop? There is no line to cross once you start doing stuff like that. Plus we already have labels, they look like this:

Old 07-31-2009, 04:24 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,321,872 times
Quote:
If we dont want the government "deciding" on whats good for us, then we shouldnt have the government pick up the cost of the results either.
Hey Randomdude, the government doesn't pay a dime of my families healthcare cost. I work, and I pay premiums for health insurance which I split with my employer. After that, I pay out of pocket for anything not covered by my insurance. The government doesn't pay a dime of it, not now, not ever.

Think of things in terms of your car insurance. You insure your car for catastrophic loss, be it in the form of your liability in an accident, damage from said accident, or theft of your car, and that's it. Your car insurance doesn't cover oil changes, new wiper blades, tires, brakes, or any other routine maintenance. When your car breaks, you pay to fix it, simple as that. Sure, car repairs are expensive, but the fact that we have to pay for it ourselves out of pocket means that mechanics and auto repair centers have to compete for our business, which is why a 30 minute tune and oil change cost about $100 and not $5,000. If cars cost $5,000 for oil changes and tune ups, no one would be driving, and the mechanics would have no customers. Can you imagine what car insurance would cost if we tried to include coverage for all these other everyday routine things that cars require to be roadworthy?

That is also why car insurance is affordable enough for the state to easily mandate that everyone be required to purchase it. Health insurance is not, and never will be unless it is fundamentally changed, and the government is not the one that will fix it.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:33 PM

Oh, and one last point. I will never, ever feel that any Congressman or Senator has a right to sit on his or her fat ass down in Washington DC and impose a tax on my Big Mac unless they prove to me that they themselves are in shape. Who the hell are they to tell me what I should be eating? I mean, have you seen some of those folks? Maybe we should pass a new requirement on them - they can not run for office and sit and pass laws on us unless they themselves are able to complete a basic physical fitness test. Oh, and by the way, does anyone know if our elected leaders have to take drug tests? Fair is fair, after all.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,784 times
I think the fat people could just give $ to the thin people , or kids, to buy fatty foods...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 PM

538 posts, read 732,644 times
Unfrickingbelievable. This is exactly why I do not want national health care. People sticking their goddam noses into other people's business! Some people just never get enough of telling other people how to live their lives.

Here's some news for people who want other people to pay for eating saturated fat...saturated fat is GOOD for you. You should learn about the realities of nutrition before you start telling other people what to do. In fact, DON'T start telling other people what to do. IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!

Government is screwing us left and right, and you want to allow them to screw us from behind. Read MY lips...NO NEW TAXES! We are already paying way too much. Shrink this fricking government down...they are stealing our money and giving more power to themselves, and creating fricking corporate monopolies that are 'TOO BIG TO FAIL'!!!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Some people just never get enough of telling other people how to live their lives.
That's exactly right, and 99% work for the government! What was that saying that was so famous during the revolution = "DON'T TREAD ON ME!" I think the time is right to return this flag to our flagpoles!
Attached Thumbnails
Taxing fatty foods, great idea!-800px-gadsden_flag_svg.jpg  

Old 08-01-2009, 04:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think every time a cop pulls you or a family member over and they can make a call and prove by phone records that you were talking on the phone or texting while driving at the time you committed the violation....
Talking on cell phones while driving is already adjust the law here in California. A few months ago a Train crashed in Los Angeles because the driver was texting, I believe 12 people died.

I would have no problem with such a law! These sorts of things put everyone else at risk. People should have the right to do whatever they wish so long as it does not infringe on others rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think we should add a bad behavior tax on health insurance for people with sexually transmitted diseases.
A private health insurance company would charge more to someone with a costly disease, regardless of its nature.

Anyhow, as soon as you start to raid my pockets to pay for your bad behavior is when I start to have a say in your bad behavior. If obese people started to pay the full costs of their behavior then it would no longer be a concern. In our partially socialized heath-system tax policy would have to be used to better push the costs on the people that are incurring them.

The "comrade" line is somewhat ironic, as you are supporting a system that socializes the costs of bad eating habits.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Am I the only one that this whole thread, plus a couple other currently active, triggers the following reaction
Nothing in this thread has anything to do with the issues in 1984.

Tax policy is currently used throughout the economy to create incentives to do such and such. For example, there is a domestic production tax deduction. Anybody that is against a tax on unhealthy foods because the government is trying to get people to do X, should then be against a tax deduction that tries to give businesses an incentive to do X. In this case, domestic production.

Our entire tax code is built around these sorts of tax policies. Sometimes I wonder if I live in the same country as some of you guys....

Old 08-01-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Canada's care for the young is good. For adults, not so much. At least according to my Canadian in-laws who came to the US.
The irony of this is that most older people in the US are using a socialized system, namely medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics