Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,860,775 times

Advertisements

Am I to understand that they are using our dollars to buy gold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 06:48 PM

18,480 posts, read 15,274,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Am I to understand that they are using our dollars to buy gold?
Gold is ALWAYS traded in US dollars, isn't it?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I don't know if you've heard of the "gold parties" that have become common lately, but the rumor mill is saying that many of the companies which host them have ties to China.
I have heard of them, but I guess I didn't give them that much credit. How much gold changes hands at a typical party?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,799,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I have heard of them, but I guess I didn't give them that much credit. How much gold changes hands at a typical party?
As much as they can get their hands on. Sometimes it's in a house with a dozen or so people, and other times they rent hotel conference rooms to draw in bigger crowds.

If you figure half an ounce per person, you'd only need 64K attendees to net a ton of gold.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:09 PM

35 posts, read 180,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Seems they don't like being the "paper tiger" anymore.
Hedging against massive inflation .

Rep. Kirk of Illinois leaks China’s plans to buy $80 billion worth of gold « Commodity Trade Alert.Com

snippet:
"Rep. Kirk of Illinois leaks China’s plan to buy $80 billion worth of gold, to protect it’s massive foreign currency reserves from hyperinfaltion. China is particularily vulenrable to infaltion as governments around the world openly inflate their way out of the “Great Global Recession”.
And where whould you store that gold?

Old 07-17-2009, 02:02 PM

296 posts, read 803,392 times
"Am I to understand that they are using our dollars to buy gold?"

Well, I would have thought that they are using some of their own 2 trillion USDs to buy the gold. Interesting, China has surplus cash and the US is broke. What a mess we are in.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Gold is ALWAYS traded in US dollars, isn't it?
Yes but if the Chinese are unloading our dollars for Gold, what can that do for the value of our currency? Do the Chinese know some thing we Americans don't?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiderTrack View Post
And where whould you store that gold?

The same place the U.S. does. The U.S. secures millions of dollars worth of Gold for foreign nations. As far as we know Wall Street is still the financial capital of the world. For how much longer is any ones guess.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Yes but if the Chinese are unloading our dollars for Gold, what can that do for the value of our currency? Do the Chinese know some thing we Americans don't?
I understand the relationship. I was just answering the posters question without qualification as to the possible ramifications. Do they know something that we dont? I dont think so. I think they are speculating, but their speculation could easily become a self fulfilling prophecy. Its kind of like the way the old money guys used to get together and all sell at once to crash the market, only China doesn't need too much help, if that is what they want to do.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:40 AM

209 posts, read 585,350 times
Quote:
The value of the U.S. Dollar will fall unless there is enough demand in the market for Dollars when China goes to purchase. This also assume they are using their Dollar Reserves to make these purchases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics