Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the information "valuable"?
LOL-you are outa yo Mind! I don lika tha yaddi-yaddi 4 80.00%
HMM- this was interesting 1 20.00%
G- how can i learn more- the guy actually knows somthn 0 0%
OMG! Can I have your autograph...please? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM

25 posts, read 63,827 times

Advertisements

Ok., so your investments inside your retirement plan have gone snorkling and "taken a dive". Yes, you had the best funds, etfs, stocks, bonds, shoes and socks right? Still, your investment is tanked rock-bottom.

here is how you increase recover and exceed your ROI...

you find a foreclosure-you know, a home although it may be a rental or commercial building. You are sure the building needs some repairs around $15-20K; similar homes have sold (within the last 3months) for about 100k
and the purchase price is 20-30k or even 40k.

but you are still short on cash. Your IRA however has some $100k.
IRA buys forclosure for $30k+15K to fix= 45k. you sell it for 100k, pay realtor 6000. and NET $49K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but wait you PAY ZERO-I REPEAT; ZERO TAXES! You bought real estate inside your IRA and therefore it is "tax deferred"...

Moderator cut: url removed - no soliciting, please

(http://http://www.financialgu-ru.com/custom.em?pid=857650 - broken link)

Last edited by Marka; 04-30-2009 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 09:33 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
I think that very few people should really engage in "bottom fishing" in real estate. While I know there are properties than can be purchased for less than $50K, and sometimes you could, in theory, double your money, more often the shear costs of the MATERIALS needs to put such properties back into good shape can EASILY make it completely unfeasible.

The other very real concern that one runs into at the "extreme bargain" territory is that too often this are in locations where NO ONE buys housing. I have seen LOTS of places that are unsafe, isolated, or with so many negatives that there are really ZERO prospects for resale.

I suppose there are a small number of place that are rough but have a reasonable chance of being "flipped" -- and that is REALLY what is being suggested here -- I think most SANE investment advice about one's IRA is that "slow and steady" is the way to go if it really is money you have to count on for retirement...

Old 05-02-2009, 12:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,078,866 times
I've got 15-20 years until I retire, the market will come back. It's all cyclical, and nothing I haven't seen before.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:52 PM

25 posts, read 63,827 times
chet,

certainly you wouldn't look into areas that are blighted or distressed neighborhoods. That said, I've worked with investors where houses with little work-mainly cosmetic- was turned arround for a 25-35% profit. Certainly one must work with an experienced and knowledgable Realtor. Thanks for your comment. By the way...the only "steady-eddy" out there is a fixed annuity at 2-3.5 percent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics