Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
There is a $15 charge to check bags. Why go through that hassle if my bag fits nicely in the overhead space?
I agree with you, that is why our son is taking a carry on with him. He doesn't need much for these few days and to pay $ 30.- (back & forward) is ridiculous...soon we probable have no choice since in Europe already they have made the carry on sizes even smaller than what is allowed right now, so we all have to buy new carry on bags...
I guess Obama will call it a stimilus plan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 03:11 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,730,127 times
Quote:
There is a $15 charge to check bags. Why go through that hassle if my bag fits nicely in the overhead space?
No wonder I don't fly anymore with people stuffing the cabin with baggage to the hilt to save a few dollars. I wonder why $15 seems too much to pay to check your baggage, but $79 for a "premier" credit card which doesn't seem to give you much benefit is OK .

Old 04-07-2009, 04:09 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,909,120 times
If you are a frequent flyer (like me) you get all these ameneties for free - on the plane first, no charges for baggage, no charges for premium seats, and frequent upgrades to first class. You don't have to fly too much to get the first level of premium membership, as long as you fly on one airline. If you are not a frequent flyer, just grin and bear it and be thankful you only take a few trips a year.

Flying still sucks, even for a frequent flyer getting all the amenities and upgrades. You have to come to terms with it. I get my first class upgrade, get on the plane first and get my adult beverage in minutes - but I'm still sitting in a stuffy metal tube for hours, sitting beside someone I don't want to know, almost a prisoner in a a chair. For others - Check in your bags and pay the fee if applicable, or carry on your bags and risk running out of overhead storage space (and I see them almost always fill up), getting nasty looks from fellow passengers and flight attendants, and getting your stuff squashed or forced into an underseat area where your feet normally go.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:32 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times
OP you have a legit complaint, call US Airways customer service themselves as they are the ones that control training issues. Have your flight # and gate if possible handy. Were you on a mainline or express flight? What airport? Sometimes US Airways agents aren't US Airways employees at all.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:08 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,716,677 times
Thanks wheelsup.

It was a flight from San Francisco to Charlotte. When I flew out of Charlotte the person in Charlotte let me board Zone 2. So maybe its just some airports have not trained all their staff on this.

I will call US Airways today and report back.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:43 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times
I for one appreciate your business . It's folks like you that keep my paycheck coming.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,723,245 times
If it were to happen again, try and go to the counter before boarding to sort it out.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,248 times
Send in a written "dispute" on you Mastercard. Our Visa cards were always very fair with disputed items. OR this may be another one of the dreadful dealings in having to have our dividend miles card changed to (Barclay Bank) MasterCard. I am considering canceling my Usairways credit card with their new alliance with Mastercard. From what I see on-line and with friends Barclay Bank is very incompetent.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,151,352 times
Quote:
I emailed and called US Airways Mastercard and they keep telling me its not their fault and tell me to call US Airways directly (I guess they are two seperate customer support groups).
Not only are they two seperate customer support groups but they most likely are two seperate corporations, with the US Airways having nothing at all to do with the Mastercard company.

Often times a business can get their "own" card but all they do have a bank issue the cards, while they receive some sort of "kick back"..

I had one business where we issued our own cards and our company received a % of all sales. Not saying this is the case with US Air, but I wouldnt be surprised.

One example, Barnes & Nobles credit card is really a barclays bank issued card with a BN logo on it.

In your situation the customer service reps are correct. Your beef is with US Airways, not US Airways Mastercard and I would follow up and file a complaint with them.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,151,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
No wonder I don't fly anymore with people stuffing the cabin with baggage to the hilt to save a few dollars. I wonder why $15 seems too much to pay to check your baggage, but $79 for a "premier" credit card which doesn't seem to give you much benefit is OK .
Because on a round trip it would be $30 to check baggage and if one travels often those costs add up. A trip I took to Florida recently, family of 4, cost me $180 for luggage check, more than the cost of one of our tickets..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics