Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:12 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times

Advertisements

I ran across an article on MSNBC about the National Debt that asked Just who owns the National Debt?
I have heard the term for years but never really understood exactly what it is or who 'owns' that debt.
This article was very informative as it breaks some myths down.
Firstly, every three months the U.S. Treasury has an auction where it sells debt in the form of securities to buyers. It only offers enough to cover current debt payoff and cover current spending, and then it stops the offering when those goals are met.

The Treasury takes those bids first that cost it the least amount in interest and keeps working it's way up until it meets the goals. The buyers are private industry, pension funds, foreign governments, some individuals, etc. People and entities with cash who want to park it somewhere that is considered 'safe' with a return.

What surprised me is who owns the debt. I had no idea that the U.S. government itself owns most of it. 52% of the National Debt is owned by parts of the U.S. government through the Social Security trust fund and Medicare accounts. That's almost 5 Trillion dollars worth of debt altogether.
Another 24% is owned by foreign governments. Japan owns the most at $644 billion, China owns only $350 billion, the UK owns $239 billion, and the oil producing countries in OPEC own about $100 billion.

The rest of the remaining portions are owned by U.S. state and local governments ($423 billion), public and private U.S. pension funds (your 401K) at $319 billion, mutual funds at $234 billion, U.S. savings bond holders at $206 billion, U.S. insurance companies at $166 billion, and U.S. banks and credit unions at $117 billion.

If you add all the U.S. owned debt securities out of the total National Debt, the U.S. government and other U.S. sources own almost $6.5 Trillion of the total $8.5 Trillion National Debt. 76% of the National Debt is owned by American sources the other 24% is owned by foreign sources.
I found that interesting! We always hear that China is our banker, and it certainly does recycle money back into the U.S. by buying the U.S. Treasury bonds, but the U.S. goverment itself and your 401K and retirement funds are also bigger players....who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 09:45 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Interesting statistics. I too thought China owned more of our debt.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:22 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
So basically the government just keeps on printing money and no one questions what's backing it up. Too bad we can't just write checks without having sufficient funds. But foreign money is heavily invested in mortgage securities so you never know how much of that huge real estate bubble is foreign owned.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:30 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
According to the National Debt Clock each citizen's share of our nation's debt is over $29,000. Attached are a couple of graphs which show the amount of debt since WWII.
Attached Thumbnails
The National Debt-history.gif   The National Debt-inflation.gif  

Last edited by square peg; 03-06-2007 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-06-2007, 10:27 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
When living just outside NYC (in Jersey) I remember seeing the national debt "clock" on a big billboard above Times Square every time I went to buy tickets at the discount theater ticket qiosk. If I was stuck waiting in line, I'd marvel at how fast a million dollars of national debt would get racked up.
So, if national debt is at $29K per person, it far exceeds the annual per capita income. The historical graph is pretty interesting. Looks like the national debt was almost flat from 1945 to early 70s. I gotta say, the past 5 years look awfully scary.

As a side note, I vaguely remember taking a macro economics class in about 1973, and recall a professor lamenting the day the national debt would surpass a trillion dollars.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:25 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,006 times
60 minutes did a piece on this last week.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,448 times
If the markets decide that our interest payments on the debt is too high--like half of the annual budget (because of bad government gridlock), then wouldn't the dollar collapse, interest rate borrowing go high and, what stagflation?

Old 04-22-2010, 11:24 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
According to the National Debt Clock each citizen's share of our nation's debt is over $29,000. Attached are a couple of graphs which show the amount of debt since WWII.
I wish this was correct, but it is not. The majority of our debt is in the form of unfunded Social Security, Medicare, and Pension Programs. Here are the real figures.

According to the USA Today, the $63.8 trillion dollar figure measures "what's needed today - set aside in a lump sum, earning interest - to pay benefits that won't be covered by future taxes".

The $63.8 trillion dollar number translates into $546,668 for every household in the United States. This represents each household's share of all of the federal government's unfunded debt obligations, commitments and promises.

What is really scary is that this debt is backed by every citizens "personal assets".

Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Its not debt. Its better to think of it as interest bearing currency.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:50 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,533 times
wow! guess this graph really shows that supply side economics really doesn't work~ as those presidencies of spendthrift Reagan and bushes 1 and 2 racked up more debt by far than any other presidencies~ So much for them being other than medeocre presidencies~ they really are in the hall of shame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics