Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times

Advertisements

This is a first..has never happened before as noted in the artlcle by Washington.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...mAw&refer=home

snippet:
"Treasuries rose, pushing rates on the three-month bill negative for the first time, as investors gravitate toward the safety of U.S. government debt amid the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 07:12 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,508,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"Treasuries rose, pushing rates on the three-month bill negative for the first time, as investors gravitate toward the safety of U.S. government debt amid the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression."
Always happens that way...the more demand for 'em, the less interest they pay.

It's more a commentary on all the other investments, the ones people are fleeing - stocks, corporate bonds, muni's, futures, real estate, even cash.

What's beginning to worry me is, what happens when the US gubmint defaults on its debt??? (Don't say it can't happen!).

Old 12-09-2008, 07:20 PM

I'm not..anything is possible in today's economy.
Think the unthinkable

Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,894,043 times
I am just curious how Obama plans to "spend" with the gov so close to defaulting then its probably ever been...

Old 12-09-2008, 08:00 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,461,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am just curious how Obama plans to "spend" with the gov so close to defaulting then its probably ever been...
Oh pulease! Can you NOT SEE the COLOSSAL mess your guy has left us in? I have ZERO patience for any fool who would criticize Obama at this point, and even less for a Bush supporter.

And even as THE TITANIC SINKS, you want to defend the idiocy of the COC. Amazing.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:29 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,419,037 times
Well, regardless of who's responsible for the mess, (we don't need to even go there) does it seem rational to come into the mess with a bunch of plans and feel-good programs that will cost trillions?

Of course it doesn't. And that's why, one by one, he's dismantling all those warm and fuzzy promises he used to convince you boneheads to elect him.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:37 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,862,628 times
Alright folks! I just want to remind you to read this https://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...cal-posts.html
That means you keep politics out of this forum.
Please keep this thread on topic about the treasury bills. I don't ever remember them paying in the negative before now. Strange, but maybe it's just an odd thing that will change tomorrow.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:52 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,804,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I don't ever remember them paying in the negative before now. Strange, but maybe it's just an odd thing that will change tomorrow.
The reason for the low/negative rate is that everybody is putting their money into money market and similar funds to keep it safe....and those funds are safe because they put all of their money into treasuries.

You and I as individuals wouldn't buy Treasuries with no interest or negative interest, but most of us are ignorant enough to keep our money in a MM fund that is required by its charter to do so. The problem won't go away until people get confident enough to put their money into other investments.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I don't ever remember them paying in the negative before now. Strange, but maybe it's just an odd thing that will change tomorrow.
This is a first..they have never gone negative before. The flight to safety is so great that prices are being driven up while yields are driven down.

It's actually safer to stuff the money under your mattress today as you won't lose any principal

Who would thought that ??

Old 12-09-2008, 10:45 PM

242 posts, read 736,246 times
wish i could get a mortgage at a negative rate....

could pay itself off in no time.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics