Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,174,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you are not positioned for what I think will be a severe recession, then, yes you should be scared and doing something about it if you haven't already so you don't get caught with no job and too much debt and no savings in the bank.
I'm not suggesting that people ignore what is going on. But I find the bubble, where the unproductive masses get rewarded far more troubling than times when the unproductive gluttons get burned. As far as I see it this is the closest thing to divine retribution that I'll see in my life time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,137,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
sorry jimj i don't buy into that whole media negativity thing. if you ask me, there is more media saying that everything is going to be ok, we've reached the bottom, house sales are up etc. anything to put a positive spin on things.
i also don't buy these things being self fulfilling prophecies. if the US consumer and economy was in a remotely decent shape, real estate would've already been snapped up as would wall street. the reality is that the consumer is maxed out, home equity lines have faded with home prices and unemployment is skyrocketing. that is a viscious cycle as less spending leads to less jobs and vice versa.
I guess where I was going is something along the lines of doing a news story like "these banks are failing, here's why AND having someone explain why it can be a good/healthy thing in the end instead of just constantly saying "banks are failing and everyone's losing billions and leaving the impression we're all doomed when we're not.
I look at it along the lines of people who're sick don't/won't take that real yukky tasting medicine unless they know it'll make them much better in the end. If people get too anxious and scared they'll pull back/quit spending so far that it'll cause even more damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics