Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Rei Rei started this thread

494 posts, read 1,761,081 times

Advertisements

From CNN:
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS
The U.S. entered recession in December '07, according to National Bureau of Economic Research. More soon.
EDIT: Added article - http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/01/news...ion=2008120112

OMFG $)(&*$%)*$... What the hell took us so long to officially declare a recession. We knew that the economy was going down the drain. Why the wait?

Last edited by Rei; 12-01-2008 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,968,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
From CNN:

What the hell took us so long to officially declare a recession. We knew that the economy was going down the drain. Why the wait?
The incumbents always try to hold back the floodwaters. The dam broke before the elections, much to the RINOs' dislike.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:29 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
I told you ALL already back in early 2008 that we WERE in a recession... The replies I got back were "numbers didn't show it"... I told you, YOU are the best indicator of a recession, if you FEEL it, then it IS there... but people kept clamoring about the numbers and don't need to save... it is STILL a recession and it is getting WORSE... the government bailouts are to be blamed for it getting worse (would it be a cherry pie without government intervention? Nope, I never said that). The government made it worse because instead of a year or two of recession, they made it into a 4-5 year recession with their bailouts (with the possibility of a depression)... you don't need to believe me... just wait and see when China is hoarding all of the gold and England lost half of their gold without a single shot fired... you want to spend money you don't have, its not going to end well and the same goes for the government spending money they don't have... good intentions pave the road to Hell...

Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,223 times
Southwest Florida has been in a recession for almost 2 years. Glad to see you all finally joined in. Don't worry, it's not all that bad once you get use to it.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Default recession

A long swim in denial. If we didn't mention the R or D words people would continue to spend money they did not have on stuff they did not need.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:42 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,073 times
Because a recession has a very particular meaning and calling it before the fact would be speculating. Even in this case where it was pretty damn...obvious.

It has absolutely nothing to do with denial etc etc though. You just have to wait until the definition is satisfied for it to be officially called.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Rei Rei started this thread

494 posts, read 1,761,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I told you ALL already back in early 2008 that we WERE in a recession... The replies I got back were "numbers didn't show it"... I told you, YOU are the best indicator of a recession, if you FEEL it, then it IS there... but people kept clamoring about the numbers and don't need to save... it is STILL a recession and it is getting WORSE... the government bailouts are to be blamed for it getting worse (would it be a cherry pie without government intervention? Nope, I never said that). The government made it worse because instead of a year or two of recession, they made it into a 4-5 year recession with their bailouts (with the possibility of a depression)... you don't need to believe me... just wait and see when China is hoarding all of the gold and England lost half of their gold without a single shot fired... you want to spend money you don't have, its not going to end well and the same goes for the government spending money they don't have... good intentions pave the road to Hell...
I guess my next thread should be "What took us so long to officially declare a depression?" ....

Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
Evil, we have had our differences in other threads but I will give you this...you were dead on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post

Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Tyhe numbers that offically mean a recession were not there. In facxt in amny ares of the copuntry they still aren't;its the really badly hits areas that makeup the difference .

Old 12-01-2008, 11:11 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,834 times
The first stage of any recession is denial that it's actually happening.

The turning point is when everybody finally acknowledges the recession and believes the sky is falling.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics