Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:47 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,927,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I disagree with your statement about Americans questioning everything.
They have been doing just the opposite.
There is no accountability..bailouts galore, Congressional hearings but no one is held accountable, no laws have changed.

IMO most people grumble and whine but don't act.

Look at how many Congressmen and Senators got re-elected that voted FOR the bailout package when an overwhelming number of Americans said NO.
i was surprised by that as well. congress has definitely been pulling the wool over our eyes and that is also why they pulled this stuff so close to the election (even when they knew about the wall street bailout in february) and continue to do this stuff on the weekends without media coverage. (not that the media actually covers the news anymore).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 02:01 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,459,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
That was one of the most poorly produced videos I have ever seen ... and all the "information" on it stemmed from a cable "news" episode of Glen Beck lol.

Obviously we are in tough economic times, but that video proved or "showed" absolutely nothing .
Really? How interesting.

Why do you think it was poorly produced?

What parts of it didn't you like?

How do you think it failed to show nothing?

Would love to hear more on how you came to this stunning conclusion!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:35 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,785,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Really? How interesting.
Quote:
Why do you think it was poorly produced?
I watched it. It was a poor attempt to slice obscure special effects with 3 or 4 lines from a Glen Beck episode ... in an attempt to look like Zeitgeist or something.

Quote:
What parts of it didn't you like?
The parts where it assumed everything it had to say was universally correct ... oh, wait.

The comparisons it made were okay, but it assumes a too-simplified outlook at the subject matter at hand. I don't believe the comparisons are completely logical when trying to suggest that we are going the same route as Germany or Argentina. And the video did a very bad job of trying to portray itself as cut-away-scene savvy/pseudo-intellectual while making the comparisons.

Quote:
How do you think it failed to show nothing?
All it showed was what one guest on the Glen Beck show had to say. And it showed of how in the past, a couple of countries have failed in attempts to salvage their economy - and tried to use those instances to predict that the exact same thing will happen to us. Some people believe this and some people don't ... but we all have heard this before. What exactly did it show that was "new" or "enlightening"? I mean, besides the lame attempts at savvy editing by the video-maker .

Old 11-30-2008, 02:58 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,282,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
especially those of us who can't watch linked videos...getting by with very SLOW, 'Pay-by-the-byte' dial-up (I live in nationally protected scenic area, no cable, no cell towers, no satellite dishes allowed, no broadband signal...)

We have to rely on an abridged version of guessing on the content, this could be troublesome in the new communication age, but...we might miss the coming collapse
You are not missing much...

The video was a combination of hilarious fear-mongering using Hollywood movie footage, Peter Schiff being interviewed by Glenn Beck, and an overly simplistic explanation of the creation of a "shock wave" of hyperinflation.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
The parts where it assumed everything it had to say was universally correct ... oh, wait.

The comparisons it made were okay, but it assumes a too-simplified outlook at the subject matter at hand. I don't believe the comparisons are completely logical when trying to suggest that we are going the same route as Germany or Argentina. And the video did a very bad job of trying to portray itself as cut-away-scene savvy/pseudo-intellectual while making the comparisons.
I think you are just trying to have an opposing opinion for the sake of it. The video was not presented as an in-depth outlook. It's only 9 minutes long, for gosh sakes.

I think it was interesting and well done and demonstrates that flooding an economy with money can have devastating effects. Economist Micheal Hudson and financial expert Marc Faber have been warning of the same thing.

I don't know why people insist on living in la-la land. You can't flood the economy with trillions on dollars (against taxpayer wishes, I might add) and expect it not to have a reverberating effect.

Our democracy is over. It's all fiction now.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:46 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,785,522 times
Quote:
I think you are just trying to have an opposing opinion for the sake of it. The video was not presented as an in-depth outlook. It's only 9 minutes long, for gosh sakes.
Not for the sake of it. That is my honest opinion on the video.

Quote:
I think it was interesting and well done and demonstrates that flooding an economy with money can have devastating effects. Economist Micheal Hudson and financial expert Marc Faber have been warning of the same thing.
My opinion differs. It was not well-done at all. In fact, whether I disagree with its point or not has no bearing on my opinion on this. The video was poorly made and it used contrived methods (in an elementary way) to try to make it a "hip documentary-underground intellectual-I'll prove the conspiracy" look-alike.

Quote:
I don't know why people insist on living in la-la land. You can't flood the economy with trillions on dollars (against taxpayer wishes, I might add) and expect it not to have a reverberating effect.
I just don't think the situation is that cut and dry ... at all.

Quote:
That's a pretty big statement ... of which I respectfully disagree. I guess only time will tell.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:02 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,282,606 times
Quote:
I don't know why people insist on living in la-la land.
A lot of people are just too busy living their lives to worry about what might or might not be in the future.
Quote:
Okay, so are we all doomed utterly or is there a play that investors can make to hedge against this end of democracy? Are we all going down with the ship or do you have any ideas?

Old 11-30-2008, 05:08 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,386,506 times
I saw the video and in all honesty I don't like it. Sensationalistic approaches just don't appeal to me. I found the video manipulation when the one interviewee was going to answer the question especially irritating. Its another video that tries to reinforce the myth that inflation and fiat currency is the only thing that can be made to destroy when gold, deflation, currency devaluation, war and embargo all can do so and have done so in the past.

If anyone is interested in a less sensationalistic analysis of 19th century misbehavior by big finance who had no trouble making a mess of things without inflation see here.

Sarah Emery, Seven Financial Conspiracies, 1887

Besides the destruction of the greenbacks it is their settled policy to rob us of the silver dollar and place our currency upon a single gold basis. This is another diabolic scheme solely in the interest of the creditor class.
There is not, there cannot be a greater enemy to American producers than John Sherman and that class of men who are devoting all their energies to the destruction of silver as money. With gold as a basis and the banks to issue the paper currency of the country, the people would be entirely at the mercy of Shylock. Indeed, are we not already at the feet of the money power ?
This was a deflationary plan to limit control of money to those in control of gold, an easily monopolized commodity, and to destroy silver and the greenback.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 11-30-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
LOVE IT!!!!

Silver bugs hated gold bugs back in the day!

BEST REFUTATION SO FAR!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Its another video that tries to reinforce the myth that inflation and fiat currency is the only thing that can be made to destroy when gold, deflation, currency devaluation, war and embargo all can do so and have done so in the past.
This isn't even a sentence.

Gwyn, how am I to take any of your arguments seriously when you aren't even able to string together a proper sentence? As with your other posts, I have no idea what you're trying to say. Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics