Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM

8,948 posts, read 11,812,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
if anybody thinks it isn't a dog and pony show all they need to do is take a look at the dow today and realize that there was a 444 point loss and the only stock gain was GM. somebody is anticipating a bailout!
That should not be a surprise. I have been anticipating a bailout the first day words about the auto bailout came out.

For politicians who want to be reelected, it would be a political suicide not to give auto companies the bailout. Auto companies will get the bailout for the same reason Wall Street get their bailout. If no bailout is given and those companies go bankrupt and have to fire people, the politicians will be blamed for abandoning the "American workers" who got laid off.

If the bailout is given and these companies go bankrupt and lay people off anyway, the politicians can't be blamed for anything because they have done everything they can. They have tried to save the "American workers."

Look at all the lay offs in the financial industry. They got their bailout, and they are laying people off like crazy. Can we blame the politicians for these lay offs? I can't. Now imagine for a moment that the bailout was denied and the same thing happened, people getting laid off and so on. The politicians who voted against the bailout, against saving jobs would be in big trouble.

You can expect more bailout.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-20-2008 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:31 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,936,807 times
i do blame the politicians because i feel that americans are boycotting the companies that receive bailouts. if americans can't get their representatives to listen to them to stop the bailouts, then their only option is to boycott the product. these politicians are generating ill will.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,920,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Dems are postponing crucial vote on auto bailout

Looks like they're going to wait a month. GM will be done by the time this comes up for a vote.

i hope they do go bankrupt and are court ordered to liquidate assets.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:39 PM

1,670 posts, read 4,378,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
i hope they go bankrupt, nuke the UAW, and start over. the UAW is the root cause of the problem, but no need to beat a dead horse...

Old 11-20-2008, 04:01 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,863,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
i hope they go bankrupt, nuke the UAW, and start over. the UAW is the root cause of the problem, but no need to beat a dead horse...
Someone told me that an average UAW worker makes $45 an hour. I spent five and a half years studying education and I don't make half of that. Let them go bankrupt and reorganize.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:04 PM

707 posts, read 1,294,805 times
You had to know all along, the DC meeting was just a show to demonstrate how hard they were thinking about it. They already made up their minds to squander your tax dollars.

But hey, we all voted all the incumbents in again. They show complete disdain for your wishes and we reward them with our vote.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
Chaulk ohn eup for teh new demcratic lead congress. I'd liie to see teh pork they used to brbe the other senators like in the wall street bailout.They knew they didn't have the votes to pass another separate bailout bill. This era odf change is just the same old crooked politics of the past.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,060,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
Why? How would this help you in any way?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,019,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
You can expect more bailout.
I hope there is money left to bail out IHOP when and if it comes to that...

Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,019,771 times
Oh duh.. yeah we can just print more one dollar bills and just inflate the economy.. lets do that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics