Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,455,118 times

Advertisements

Anyone know? I know it's no 6.5 percent. All the people who are not looking, who've given up looking, and who don't collect a check are not included in this figure. I tried to find in on the Net, but could not. Thanks, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:03 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,923,778 times
monthly unemployment rates

Old 11-13-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

Thanks for the link, but I want to see the "real" unemployment numbers, which are much higher than what you posted. Oops, I read further and that is pretty good! It still doesn't' give one realistic number, however. I think it must be closer to 10%.

Last edited by movin'on; 11-13-2008 at 02:18 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
"Real unemployment" is probably twice the official rate. I am guessing that if you include workers that have been downsized from well paid manufacturing jobs to poorly paid service work the "real" un and under employment rate would probably be closer to 30 to 35%.

Companies have very effectively held labor costs down while counting on low cost (20 to 30%) credit to maintain the sales. Well we just ran out of credit and until American workers are paid well enough to afford American prices without borrowing money this economy will not recover.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,913,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Anyone know? I know it's no 6.5 percent. All the people who are not looking, who've given up looking, and who don't collect a check are not included in this figure. I tried to find in on the Net, but could not. Thanks, in advance.
CNBC in 1 hour....we''ll know

Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,871,984 times
Here you go:

My rule of thumb is 2x the official rate. We have 7% unemployment out here in CA, so I am figuring 14% give or take.

There are also MANY studies out there that show how terrible the government statistics are. For example, government statistics don't include underemployed people, persons with a disability who could still work, inmates, and persons who have been unemployed for longer than 6 months.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:19 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,413,772 times
Inflation, Money Supply, GDP, Unemployment and the Dollar - Alternate Data Series

Ah, I think killer beat me to this one...this site uses the criteria that USED to be used, to calculate data in a realistic fashion, rather than one that makes us feel a certain way that the govt wants us to feel.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:25 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,237,332 times
When I look at figures like that I always wonder if these are people who can't find a job at all or people who can't find a job they want or that pays them what they want. I'm certainly not minimizing the problem of the unemployed because it is a serious problem that effects real families, but as long as there are job wanted ads in the classifieds or online....shouldn't at least a percentage of those people be able to find something?

I took a part time lower paying job with a large company just to feed my family and within a few weeks, I ended up with a good paying full time job with the same company.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
When I look at figures like that I always wonder if these are people who can't find a job at all or people who can't find a job they want or that pays them what they want. I'm certainly not minimizing the problem of the unemployed because it is a serious problem that effects real families, but as long as there are job wanted ads in the classifieds or online....shouldn't at least a percentage of those people be able to find something?

I took a part time lower paying job with a large company just to feed my family and within a few weeks, I ended up with a good paying full time job with the same company.
How long ago did you get this job and how do you define "good paying full-time job?"

Old 11-13-2008, 10:09 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,871,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
How long ago did you get this job and how do you define "good paying full-time job?"
lol serious. I've been looking for accounting work for a while now. Couple months maybe because I just finished my AA degree in accounting. Can't find anything, even 10/hr stuff is hard to come by in Orange County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics