Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:04 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,799,651 times

Advertisements

As much as I'm against telling and being told what can and can't be done around the house, I've lived in places with incredibly weak code compliance (I'm talking about abandoned cars and houses here). I think in those kinds of situations a HOA might not be such a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:25 PM

854 posts, read 2,864,835 times
Aaaah yeah, ye ole HOA. Cutting satellite cables, towing cars because they don't have the parking permit-stickers that haven't even been sent out yet and other fun stuff like that.

Btw, if anybody has A LOT of time / boredom, read this epic thread:

Full Thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3880087

-over 100k views in little over a week

Cliffnoted on page 26 of the original thread then goes on from there.

-Man's Audi gets booted in his own neighborhood
-Dollies car into his garage
-Calls authorities, tell them to come get boots
-All sorts of cops/HOA show up say he's in possession of stolen property (boots)
-Tells them he is not holding them, they can take them back
-All sorts of legal issues, booting company is pissed
-Take boots off, now legal action starts
-Meetings, police, mayhem. Boots everywhere!

it's a good laugh!

Old 10-30-2008, 03:17 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Rather hateful comment ... and one that does not directly apply to the post. I am one of those idiots you are referring too. Most (the overwhelming majority) of those that move into an HOA community move into them knowing full well what they are getting into. It's the idiots that move into those neighborboods, disregard the covenants they agreed to, and then complain that are the real problem.

Home ownership has many costs and implications that many folks are not equiped to handle - plain & simple.
I agree with you...the idiots are the once who buy in a HOA community and don't stick to the rules and/or don't pay and than start complaining...but they are idiots in many areas, because most of these HOA haters are defaulting on their mortgages (which has nothing to do with an HOA, but just another contract you signed), and have tax liens, credit card debt they never can pay off....

Always the same idiots!!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:05 AM

897 posts, read 2,825,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I agree with you...the idiots are the once who buy in a HOA community and don't stick to the rules and/or don't pay and than start complaining...but they are idiots in many areas, because most of these HOA haters are defaulting on their mortgages (which has nothing to do with an HOA, but just another contract you signed), and have tax liens, credit card debt they never can pay off....

Always the same idiots!!!!
I actually see HOA's (covenants) getting stricter in the future, rather than going away in light of what of going on with housing. There are so many folks out there that simply have no business being homeowners, and HOA's are probably going to be more viligant in protected the existing majority of those in the neighborhood. I personally don't like having another layer of enforcement - but then again it is a necessary evil that I endorse to protect my home from these ... idiots. It's really not that hard, for me atleast, to be personally responsible for my property. Is it that hard to follow a few simple rules? And again if you don't like HOA's and their rules, or for that matter can't follow local codes and enforcements, then please don't purchase a home!

Last edited by GeminiGal; 10-31-2008 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-31-2008, 08:18 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,085,446 times
Remind me never to live next to you. What's in your yard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Get a life people, if someone elses' property is unsightly, remember that is is NOT YOURS! In a communist society such as ours the Government already dictates what people can and cannot do, so why pay extra for a HOA to do it as well? If this was a free country with private property rights a neat home could exist right next to a different one and nobody would be so immature to want control of either. The only limits would be when noise or odors cross that property line then the government gets involved. Instead there exist childish HOA boards to steal money and dictate what people can do. This is yet another symptom of America's decline as in the early 20'th century no HOA existed.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,151,352 times
A problem with the posting, just because a property is a bank repo, this does not mean that the HOA fees will not be paid, the payments are just delayed. The bank doing the repo is responsible for the fees until the property is resold, and these payments need to be paid prior to closing.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
The problem though with letting the fees pile up is that current services MUST be paid so the current homeowners have to anti up for the difference.

If you have a management company running the HOA then they must be paid as well as mowing services, etc. Current homeowners will have to foot the extra money and maybe get reimbursed once the liens for unpaid HOA dues are recovered.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:09 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
I actually see HOA's (covenants) getting stricter in the future, rather than going away in light of what of going on with housing. There are so many folks out there that simply have no business being homeowners, and HOA's are probably going to be more viligant in protected the existing majority of those in the neighborhood. I personally don't like having another layer of enforcement - but then again it is a necessary evil that I endorse to protect my home from these ... idiots. It's really not that hard, for me atleast, to be personally responsible for my property. Is it that hard to follow a few simple rules? And again if you don't like HOA's and their rules, or for that matter can't follow local codes and enforcements, then please don't purchase a home!
I will have you as my neighbor!!!

Old 11-01-2008, 02:00 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,841,412 times
I lived in Atlanta in a neighborhood with no HOA. One house was pistachio green with a hint of yellow. Across the street from it, one house was yellow..like mustard yellow with a dash of supernova. It was like driving between a huge lemon and lime.

Another home was beautiful, great yard..I think the lady that lived there had landscapers taking care of it. At the property line that all changed. The yard next to hers had 3 foot tall dandelions that had went to seed. We're not talking like two dandelions. We're talking like 200 dandelions. The yard was more dandelions than grass. It was like I dunno....it was just freaking sad to see this pristine yard and then suddenly, wilderness. The garage door of said home was caved in where they had rammed the car into it. It was caved in when I left..I know for a fact it had been caved in for over a year.

My Realtor that was selling my home was also selling "Caved in garage" home...and the kids had written on the walls as high as they could reach. She said she was going to have to give someone a $10,000 dollar damage waiver or something, just to try and get it sold.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,766,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Remind me never to live next to you. What's in your yard?
My yard is considered a 'natural forest community". A few of my neighbors have boats, bouys, cannons, old cars, and all with plenty of trees. I love the character and creativity, it feels like the area is alive. Just a few streets over is a sterile neighborhood with few trees, gravel yards and luxury cars behind fancy fences. I would not like to live next to people like that. I still cannot see why people are so insecure to want to dictate what other people's property should look like. It must be some kind of mental disorder. If you want to paint your house red white and blue and put up 100 flags around your home, I say go ahead. Fill your yard with whatever decorations you like, if an HOA dictates standards everyone loses their rights. The way the economy is going, HOA's will become obsolete. Everyone will be growing food in their yard space to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics