Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:40 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,590,636 times

Advertisements

He contributed to the current situation by encouraging excessive leverage in the financial sector and failing to regulate lending and financial derivatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 12:44 PM

936 posts, read 3,193,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
Because it is a world wide problem and they are not able to get everyone to do the right thing until it is a crisis.
good answer!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:06 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,388,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
Because it is a world wide problem and they are not able to get everyone to do the right thing until it is a crisis.
Hello Refugee56,

I hope you handle is not prophetic. Indeed its true and there are several problems. The Russian central bank just opened up a loan window to their big banks.
However the problem I see is even if banks have money to loan, with tighter credit standard who will be approved? American banks may lend to anyone. By injecting money into banks they may simply loan money internationally and it will be trickle down reflation after an offshore purchases your deflated assets. Naturally this will still be a nice blood filled interest artery for the bank to suck on after they just gave us their junk.
I wish I were making it up but this has all been done before. You will even see it on travel shows on PBS when they casually mention during the Argentinian crisis how foreign capital bought up all the wineries for cheap. It was mentioned with a positive spin that the wine had improved in quality. It was probably so good the average Argentinian can't afford the wine that is grown on their own land. They get to work the wine bar now.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:32 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,936 times
I just read an article about Bernake's testimony on Capitol Hill and this statement just blew me away.

The government's biggest economic bailout since the Great Depression is aimed not at relieving unemployment or reforming questionable business practices, but at resuscitating financial markets debilitated by lousy bets on the housing market.

Ok, so maybe it's not aimed at relieving unemployment, which is a symptom of the problems, but NOT REFORMING QUESTIONABLE BUSINESS PRACTICES? Can someone please explain to me then how we got into this mess? To me, the above statement is like shutting the barn door after the horses are out.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:36 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,170,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I'm no apologist for Bernanke, but events were already moving in this direction when he became chairman of the Fed in 2006. No matter what, he'd be dealing with a tough situation right now.

What I'm stupefied by is his failure, along with that of the Treasury, to come up with some serious contingency plans over a year ago when the cracks really began to show.
true the problems are deep and from a long time ago but hes made them way worse

Old 10-07-2008, 02:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,191,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
if that's the case, why are we on the verge of another plausible total market crash?
You're confusing the market with the economy.

The market can crash without having any effect whatsoever on the economy.

Some examples: The 2000 Tech Crash, the 1998 Dot.com Crash, the 1987 Crash, the 1973 Crash, the 1962 Crash, and the 1929 Crash.

Some other notable market crashes that didn't effect the economy were 1939, 1937, 1932, and 1919.

The 1939 Crash was hilarious because it lasted until the end of 1942, and during that time, the US GDP grew a whopping 55%, with an average growth rate of 12+% per year.

I don't know what your major malfunction is, but you need to learn the difference between the market and the economy. They are not synonymous.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM

485 posts, read 1,841,185 times
He is under extreme pressure now to "pull a Greenspan" and lower the Fed Funds Rate to 1% to open up easy money again!

Old 10-07-2008, 03:25 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,379,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
yes, this is a financial meltdown, don't say it's not. anyone in defense to this statement is either ignorant, in denial, or too optimistic.

anyway, some people have told me that ben bernanke is a great depression scholar and therefore, is the perfect man for the job he has. now, if that's the case, why are we on the verge of another plausible total market crash? did he not foresee it when he took over for greenspan? he was silent then, what was he hiding? or better yet, is he the great depression scholar he thinks he is?

some people say he's doing a great job.... at what? because i don't agree at all! he's only treating the symptom, not the disease. it will get worse. why did he not catch the coming credit crunch at an earlier time to help mend markets proactively rather then reactively?
First problem with Bazooka Ben is, he is a scholar of the depression of the 20s/30s. This economic whirl wind we are presently in resembles the Depression of 1873 more so than anything else.

Lastly, what ever they try to do, its not a magic pill. They wont do it and poof things will magically get better. We are going to have some serious problems for awhile.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:43 PM

936 posts, read 3,193,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You're confusing the market with the economy.

The market can crash without having any effect whatsoever on the economy.

Some examples: The 2000 Tech Crash, the 1998 Dot.com Crash, the 1987 Crash, the 1973 Crash, the 1962 Crash, and the 1929 Crash.

Some other notable market crashes that didn't effect the economy were 1939, 1937, 1932, and 1919.

The 1939 Crash was hilarious because it lasted until the end of 1942, and during that time, the US GDP grew a whopping 55%, with an average growth rate of 12+% per year.

I don't know what your major malfunction is, but you need to learn the difference between the market and the economy. They are not synonymous.
do you not understand that when people's 401K's are being diminished due to a crashing stock market, and when homes plummet in value, these two factors have a profound effect on the economy? retirement accounts are losing value, and babyboomers are at the age of cashing out their 401K's. for those that don't need to cash out now, they have the psychological feel of being poorer, so they spend less. do you not realize that 70% of our economy is consumer spending? in america, no money to spend = bad economy. it's a bad system in the long run, but the point is, to say that the market has no effect on the economy is irrational! long term fundamantals in the market are a byproduct of the economic situation we're facing. one follows the other, with direct correlation!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
The "market" is very much entwined into the economy today via mortgage backed securities, 401k's, pension funds and a greater majority of Americans actually investing in the market rather then in bank savings/CD's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics