Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,987,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Whoever buys WaMu is an idiot... but I am curious as to who it might be... even BoA said no to the buyout.. WaMu's debt doesn't go away in a buyout and WaMu doesn't offer anything good to buy anyways... so the buyout would be for idiots... I let them fail and buy up the best parts for pennies on the dollar and not be straddled with WaMu's debts... like with what Barclay did with Lehman...
I'd like to know what assets WaMu has to make you want to buy their bank..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 05:24 AM

5 posts, read 90,110 times
Default Don't think you can't be inconvenienced by a bank failure

I'd be willing to bet that the Feds will make sure that anyone with under $100k on deposit will not lose a dime, though people could easily be severely inconvenienced by bank closure which is what happened to some of the IndyMac depositors.

WaMu wary of IndyMac cashier's checks | L.A. Land | Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laland/2008/07/wamu-refusing-i.html - broken link)

After IndyMac Bank was taken over, some people withdrew their money and took cashiers checks to Wells Fargo, Wamu and others, only to be told that their checks would not be honored! After the banks finally relented, the banks said they'd honor them but only after something like a 2 month hold.

Based upon those people's documented experiences, I think it's prudent to consider switching banks, if only to avoid the potential for inconvenience. If your funds do manage to get caught up in a delayed clearing situation, you may not be able to cover your bills until the hold is lifted. In this case, peoples fears are fully justified and I don't think it's a "chicken little" position to heed the facts and try to protect your hard-earned, after tax dollars when all of the evidence validates those fears.

Check out Bankrate.com -- Safe & Sound (tm): Bankrate's free rating system for banks, thrifts, credit unions to find out which banks or credit unions have the safest prospects, though even this info is sometimes dated, thus no guarantee when bank balance sheets are deteriorating so rapidly...

Old 09-18-2008, 05:35 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,842,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbytes View Post
I'd be willing to bet that the Feds will make sure that anyone with under $100k on deposit will not lose a dime, though people could easily be severely inconvenienced by bank closure which is what happened to some of the IndyMac depositors.

WaMu wary of IndyMac cashier's checks | L.A. Land | Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laland/2008/07/wamu-refusing-i.html - broken link)

After IndyMac Bank was taken over, some people withdrew their money and took cashiers checks to Wells Fargo, Wamu and others, only to be told that their checks would not be honored! After the banks finally relented, the banks said they'd honor them but only after something like a 2 month hold.

Based upon those people's documented experiences, I think it's prudent to consider switching banks, if only to avoid the potential for inconvenience. If your funds do manage to get caught up in a delayed clearing situation, you may not be able to cover your bills until the hold is lifted. In this case, peoples fears are fully justified and I don't think it's a "chicken little" position to heed the facts and try to protect your hard-earned, after tax dollars when all of the evidence validates those fears.

Check out Bankrate.com -- Safe & Sound (tm): Bankrate's free rating system for banks, thrifts, credit unions to find out which banks or credit unions have the safest prospects, though even this info is sometimes dated, thus no guarantee when bank balance sheets are deteriorating so rapidly...

I don't have time to screw around with my family's future. I do have enough time to make sure that I have my money.

Then again, I'd a withdrawn it about 3 or 4 weeks ago. That's just me, though.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:42 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,842,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Whoever buys WaMu is an idiot... but I am curious as to who it might be... even BoA said no to the buyout.. WaMu's debt doesn't go away in a buyout and WaMu doesn't offer anything good to buy anyways... so the buyout would be for idiots... I let them fail and buy up the best parts for pennies on the dollar and not be straddled with WaMu's debts... like with what Barclay did with Lehman...
Who WILL be straddled with the debt? I bet it's not you or me.

It's the other people.

Sarcasm meter is off the charts, sir! We canna' hold it much longer!

We will eat this debt like chicken dinner on Sunday afternoon, and most Americans will be oblivious as to why. They will simply accept it and press on. Because, hey - it's not like they have much choice. The powers in charge recognize this...and use it against us every..single..day. It is really getting quite old. But the alternative - anarchy and chaos - while some times appealing & is actually totally awesome in the short run ...well, I'll have no electricity and the water coming out of my faucet will be the color of mud. And no one likes muddy water.

Muddy Waters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok, some people like Muddy Waters. HA HA HA! I kill me.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:53 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,106,092 times
Default There is still hope for WaMu

With stock sinking, WaMu appears headed for sale: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080918/washington_mutual.html - broken link)

Old 09-18-2008, 09:08 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,800,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Rambler View Post
Yea right:

Federal bank insurance fund dwindling - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080916/ap_on_bi_ge/bank_deposits_safety - broken link)
If the FDIC goes under, we've got much bigger problems to deal with than individual banks failing. Nobody would be safe anymore.

About WaMu though, I don't know why someone wouldn't want to have their funds spread out among at least a couple of institutions. I get much better services at credit unions than a bank.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,872,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I'd like to know what assets WaMu has to make you want to buy their bank..
Absolutely nothing... that's why only idiots would buy it...

Old 09-18-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Who WILL be straddled with the debt? I bet it's not you or me.

It's the other people.

Sarcasm meter is off the charts, sir! We canna' hold it much longer!

We will eat this debt like chicken dinner on Sunday afternoon, and most Americans will be oblivious as to why. They will simply accept it and press on. Because, hey - it's not like they have much choice. The powers in charge recognize this...and use it against us every..single..day. It is really getting quite old. But the alternative - anarchy and chaos - while some times appealing & is actually totally awesome in the short run ...well, I'll have no electricity and the water coming out of my faucet will be the color of mud. And no one likes muddy water.

Muddy Waters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok, some people like Muddy Waters. HA HA HA! I kill me.
Lol... funny... Look its the "other" people... who also happens to be your identical twin and has all your cash assets... hmm... weird... my money just vanished... what happened?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:39 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,730,268 times
Just signed up for BofA this week...should be taking my WAMU money out soon. Not because of this, but because BofA is the bigger better bank.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Just signed up for BofA this week...should be taking my WAMU money out soon. Not because of this, but because BofA is the bigger better bank.
I see... just coincidence huh.... I rather put it into a credit union... unless its purely savings then I would opt for a corporate bank...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics