Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,897,931 times

Advertisements

As soon as you read this go to wamu and take all your money out!!!! They are going up for auction. That means they probably have liquidity problems.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...-D302430FE9BB}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 06:00 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,842,002 times
Calm down. You'll be fine if you're under the FDIC limits. If everyone goes and pulls their money out the company will go under for sure. Now is not the time for irrational behavior.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:22 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,802,452 times
Wamu is solvent and strong, but people need to stop panicking. Money in the back is safe.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:31 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,938,777 times
Hahaha.. it is until they tell you they are going to bankrupt... point is... the more money people withdraw from WaMu (and they ARE withdrawing)... the likely they are going to go bankrupt (probably this weekend)... people WILL panic and withdraw... so NO, your money is NOT safe... better to withdraw NOW then to wait in line for a week to get it.. that is unless you think not paying bills that are due soon is not important...

Old 09-17-2008, 06:39 PM

2,402 posts, read 5,257,250 times
Do yourselves a favor and read up on Paul Mladjanovic. I won't post a website because I don't want to be accused of spamming. All I can say is he's been right on the money about the dot com bubble, credit crisis, housing bubble, commodities, inflation. I've been following him since I took his Learning Annex (NYC) course about 5 years ago. I was a doubting Thomas but I'm converted. He's been right 100%! He is my investment advisor but I have nothing to gain by promoting him. He's not one of these slick Willie types with fancy $1000. seminars (they cost about $100) or $500 "courses" (they cost about $15.) or 100 secretaries you can never get thru. He lives in a modest house in Fort Lee. He's a humble, dorky (in a nice way) guy who's easily accessible and gives personal service. He must have sent about 10 "relax, don't panic" emails and called several times in the last month advising me to stay the course including today as he was picking up his kid from school. Another one who's been on target is Stephen Leeb. Fearless predictions: commodities are coming back with a vengence (in fact they will be one of the few things left standing), oil at $200. near term, $500. medium term. Horde gold & esp. silver now. Or you can just hide your head in the sand. That might work.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:27 PM

105 posts, read 213,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
calm down. You'll be fine if you're under the fdic limits. If everyone goes and pulls their money out the company will go under for sure. Now is not the time for irrational behavior.

+1

Old 09-17-2008, 07:42 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,880,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gematria View Post
+1
I disagree. If my bank goes under...it causes me stress. That stress leads me to find out where my money is. That finding leads to a loss of time while I find out where and how to get my money.

"Oh! It's covered by the FDIC!"

"What does that mean?"

Oh, you don't know what that means for my bank? ME NEITHER! Now, I have to find out. Which takes time. My wife is asking me, "Where is our money? Can the children eat school lunch tomorrow, or should I pack a sack lunch? Does our debit/credit card work? What if they say they "Didn't get our deposit?......No one is asnwering the phones!! They say they haven't got the money!! Our credit is going to be ruined!!!"

I see this will take no time from your life. I estimate it would take multiple hours from mine. I estimate my time at $100 bucks an hour. What is your time worth?

A dollar? 2 dollars? 25 dollars? I have about 35 years or so left on this planet. I hate when someone wastes my time.

They are wasting someone's time. Not mine..I don't bank with WAMU. But they are definitely wasting someone's time.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:46 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,938,777 times
People don't seem to understand... its not a matter of IF WaMu is going under... its a matter of when and it is SOON... do you REALLY want to stand in line since 3 AM for five hours to withdraw your money? I guess people have nothing better to do with their time... or you can pull it all out NOW and put it in a bank that will be here next week... takes 5 minutes... lets see 5 hours or 5 minutes... hmm....

Old 09-17-2008, 08:12 PM

371 posts, read 1,571,417 times
The problem is if you withdraw it-what bank will be there tomorrow?? You just don't know.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:17 PM

939 posts, read 3,393,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
People don't seem to understand... its not a matter of IF WaMu is going under... its a matter of when and it is SOON... do you REALLY want to stand in line since 3 AM for five hours to withdraw your money? I guess people have nothing better to do with their time... or you can pull it all out NOW and put it in a bank that will be here next week... takes 5 minutes... lets see 5 hours or 5 minutes... hmm....
If I am under the insurance limits why would I have to withdraw the money? If WaMu goes under the FDIC will shut it down on a Friday and it will open up Monday under control of the FDIC or another bank. Thats what happened with Indymac and the other banks that were taken over by the FDIC. People are seriously overreacting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics