Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Too big to fail.
Privatize profits. Nationalize losses.
What tax burden? Mine, yours and the kids. Man, why can't they SEE this is hurting the CHILDREN, man. THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

AIG - American International Group, Inc. - Google Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 03:59 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Too big to fail.
Privatize profits. Nationalize losses.
What tax burden? Mine, yours and the kids. Man, why can't they SEE this is hurting the CHILDREN, man. THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

AIG - American International Group, Inc. - Google Finance
I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

I've come to the conclusion that the guys at the FED are FOOKING IDIOTS!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:20 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

I've come to the conclusion that the guys at the FED are FOOKING IDIOTS!

i knew this since the day of the fed cut the rate 3/4th basis points on january 22, 2008...

here are two names you will LOVE on youtube... visionvictory AND donharrold

i watch their videos often. they have been my pride and joy when it comes to investing smart during these crappy times. visionvictory predicted the fed would do this back in march, and so did donharrold. they are excellent propheteers!!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:24 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,468 times
They're trying to calm the markets. If AIG went bankrupt, global markets would completely implode tomorrow. Investors are so panicky that they would dump everything, driving prices to once-unimaginable lows, pushing more companies into the red zone and sending those teetering over the brink. This mess is causing good companies with solid fundamentals and long-term prospects to have liquidity issues. The destruction is spreading further faster than they bargained for, and I'm sure there is global pressure to act... and act swiftly.

The problem is there is no solution. It won't stop here. WaMu is next and nobody will want to touch it, either. First Fannie, then Freddie, then AIG-- every gambler out of chips can't be put in conservatorship.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:31 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
i knew this since the day of the fed cut the rate 3/4th basis points on january 22, 2008...

here are two names you will LOVE on youtube... visionvictory AND donharrold

i watch their videos often. they have been my pride and joy when it comes to investing smart during these crappy times. visionvictory predicted the fed would do this back in march, and so did donharrold. they are excellent propheteers!!
What do they recommend?

Mass indiscriminate panic selling will wipe out good companies. In a rush to liquidity, there will be few buyers... only sellers. In a world of global electronic trading, the freefall could be fast and furious. Look what happened in 1929, when neither global nor electronic came into play.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:36 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,626 times
I'm a firm believer of "you reap what you sow, that's how it goes", but honestly, if the Fed let AIG go bankrupt.. I have a bad feeling that people would be afraid to buy, and would be selling like crazy.

Last edited by analyticalkeys; 09-16-2008 at 04:48 PM..

Old 09-16-2008, 04:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
This is probably why they passed on Lehman.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
It's not about the company itself, it's about the collateral damage to the entire worldwide economy. They're trying to stave off the Big One.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, to try to keep things afloat. People losing their homes and jobs around the world by the hundreds of millions would not be good, and if there's way a way to avoid it they should try, rather than smugly assert that we all deserve it.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
What do they recommend?

Mass indiscriminate panic selling will wipe out good companies. In a rush to liquidity, there will be few buyers... only sellers. In a world of global electronic trading, the freefall could be fast and furious. Look what happened in 1929, when neither global nor electronic came into play.
they recommended shorting the financials back in january to march. right now, they see long term bullish trends for gold and silver and even oil. they understand that the US dollar has not stood the test of time and that the fed will continue to bail out financial firms. this will crush the US dollar and hyperinflate the currency to the point that gold and silver will skyrocket in coming months.

i really enjoy their commentaries and i strongly urge everyone to listen to what they have to say. visionvictory posts all of his sources in the more info section of each of his videos. he exposes the US government numbers on CPI, inflation, and GDP and he has sources that show that the government numbers are just manipulated. visionvictory understands the macroeconomic situation this country is currently in, and what it means in the coming weeks. he has been warning people months in advance that september will be the month that the USA and the world will experience the beginning of hurricane force winds of the coming category 5 economic hurricane. it is clear that the tropical force winds we have been sitting in since the bear stearns bailout are starting to get stronger.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:02 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
The notion of private gain and public risk is a particularly vile one. If the Fed is to give AIG a bridge loan, AIG should also be forced to accept a form of quasi-receivership where the contracts of all its directors and board members are stripped of all compensation for the year, and become personally responsible for a portion of the bailout, so that their property is liened, and future wages garnished. They should have to surrender something substantial in order to gain access to public aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics