Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Oil trading: cheap energy, retirement, renting an apartment, real estate, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 22,843 times

Advertisements

every downside the problem is the time it takes to recognize where the opportunities are, and where people are at him a crisis management position
I think the population got blindsided, from the housing boom, and then the housing market falling so quickly, and with high the price of oil its cooking
the frog that's me slowly so I won't jump out of the pot.

I'm looking at marketing broadband with a new technology that makes it cheap and will cover 100% of the United States in 6 months

people are going to look for alternative ways of making money
and the Internet is and will be growing more by people working
at home, either as independents, or four companies or corporations

but in order for them to give the do their jobs correctly they going to need a very fast and very secure high-speed wireless connection an affordable

will be offering 1.5Mb both directions under $20 a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Here is an interesting article about how life would change:

Envisioning a world of $200-a-barrel oil - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,834,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFromCal View Post
every downside the problem is the time it takes to recognize where the opportunities are, and where people are at him a crisis management position
I think the population got blindsided, from the housing boom, and then the housing market falling so quickly, and with high the price of oil its cooking
the frog that's me slowly so I won't jump out of the pot.

I'm looking at marketing broadband with a new technology that makes it cheap and will cover 100% of the United States in 6 months

people are going to look for alternative ways of making money
and the Internet is and will be growing more by people working
at home, either as independents, or four companies or corporations

but in order for them to give the do their jobs correctly they going to need a very fast and very secure high-speed wireless connection an affordable

will be offering 1.5Mb both directions under $20 a month
If you can do that you would definately get a lot of customers. Imagine the possibilities for telecommuting/videoconferencing if your latency is low. Just hope that it can work in rural areas as well.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,533,089 times
So I just watched "Who killed the electric car" for the first time 2 days ago. And was impressed by the technology of the car and the fact there was somewhat of a infrastructure set up for these cars. Now while I know the range of these vehicle's sucked. I believe EV-1 only had a range on the battery of 60 miles. That would still fit with in the range most people I know that commute to work (north east U.S.) So I think it would be feasible to bring back the project and promote it as a commuter car only. Granted it would have competition from "smart" cars (A.K.A. the 2008 version of the Yugo.) Now while I know that there are conspiracy theories about big oil and the car makers..... I would like to point out that GM (who owns the paten on the car) product line are getting killed by current oil prices. So where in any conspiracy is the car company making out. That why I think if GM has any brains they should bring back the project and try to make a short term profit on it. Also if you think about. Even the threat of bring the car back would probably cause those in the market to panic and oil prices should drop a bit. Even with China's and India's demand for oil. Then if the oil prices drop for the short term GM then can go back selling some more of there money making SUVs while also selling commuter cars. Also for those who say that these cars will not do any damage to the price of oil I would counter that 1. We are the biggest current consumer of oil. I think 80% of the oil we use is make in to transportation fuel. and 2. Most power we would create for charging these vehicles would be from coal or nuclear energy. Both of which we have in abundance for now. Granted it wouldn't help much in the in stopping Global warming (If the theory is true.) But it is a short term solution to our travel problems.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,997,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
" heard the latest news this morning ? Bush is in the process of bombing Iran , for real !......."

Huh? Where you getting your latest breaking news?
And here I am listening to weather.
Was on MSNBC this morning. " Morning Joe" The reference came from a news release from Semour Hursch, who got the info from a Military person. Our Congress has been notified , and , supposedly have signed off on it. I have not heard an update , but , then I have just got back from the dentist.( no gas , or drugs , just a cleaning ).......

Old 06-30-2008, 08:32 AM

5,651 posts, read 19,407,827 times
I can think of several ways to alleviate some problems:

1. create safe bicycle lanes. Many companies could/should provide a shower or two if they can for bike commuters. I know many people who would commute on bike if they could safely. Many roads by us barely have a shoulder to ride on.
2. make telecommuting or work from home, more commonplace. So many companies require your presence at the workplace, why? with teleconferencing, etc now. 1 day a week could be worked from home.
3. More public transportation.... I know, beating a dead horse. but it will come to that. It must. I personally love taking public transportation rather than sitting in gridlock traffic anyday.
4. The technology is out there for oil alternative transportation. If fuel costs get too high, we'll start seeing it introduced quickly.

Most of these require much more budget than any state now has (esp. my state!) Anyway, just my 2 cents....

Old 06-30-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
So I just watched "Who killed the electric car" for the first time 2 days ago. And was impressed by the technology of the car and the fact there was somewhat of a infrastructure set up for these cars. Now while I know the range of these vehicle's sucked. I believe EV-1 only had a range on the battery of 60 miles. That would still fit with in the range most people I know that commute to work (north east U.S.) So I think it would be feasible to bring back the project and promote it as a commuter car only. Granted it would have competition from "smart" cars (A.K.A. the 2008 version of the Yugo.) Now while I know that there are conspiracy theories about big oil and the car makers..... I would like to point out that GM (who owns the paten on the car) product line are getting killed by current oil prices. So where in any conspiracy is the car company making out. That why I think if GM has any brains they should bring back the project and try to make a short term profit on it. Also if you think about. Even the threat of bring the car back would probably cause those in the market to panic and oil prices should drop a bit. Even with China's and India's demand for oil. Then if the oil prices drop for the short term GM then can go back selling some more of there money making SUVs while also selling commuter cars. Also for those who say that these cars will not do any damage to the price of oil I would counter that 1. We are the biggest current consumer of oil. I think 80% of the oil we use is make in to transportation fuel. and 2. Most power we would create for charging these vehicles would be from coal or nuclear energy. Both of which we have in abundance for now. Granted it wouldn't help much in the in stopping Global warming (If the theory is true.) But it is a short term solution to our travel problems.
The electric car is nothing new. We had them in the early 1900s. At that time , an electric car was considered more civilized for town driving , and , for the first time women could drive them ! They faded from the scene , when the internal combustion engine became more user friendly. There is an electric car club , out of Detroit area , that has several tours every year. Not sure of the range , but , they travel several hundred miles. Quite a simple machine. There are lots of electric vehicles around. Locomotives are electric driven , as well a some of the very large heavy excavating equipment. Some boats are electric as well , at least in part.
As far as GM , their stock is in the tank , and , may not recover , look for a break-up of the Company , coming soon....

Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 AM

23,692 posts, read 70,888,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Was on MSNBC this morning. " Morning Joe" The reference came from a news release from Semour Hursch, who got the info from a Military person. Our Congress has been notified , and , supposedly have signed off on it. I have not heard an update , but , then I have just got back from the dentist.( no gas , or drugs , just a cleaning ).......
Check your premises. No news on Iran bombing, but an article on Hirsh here:

Epoch Times | Covert U.S. Operations in Iran Expanding, says Hirsch

Funding for covert operations were approved. Bombing is rarely covert.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Check your premises. No news on Iran bombing, but an article on Hirsh here:

Epoch Times | Covert U.S. Operations in Iran Expanding, says Hirsch

Funding for covert operations were approved. Bombing is rarely covert.
Just repeating what was on the Morning Joe , and , how they spun it.......

Old 06-30-2008, 09:51 AM

23,692 posts, read 70,888,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Just repeating what was on the Morning Joe , and , how they spun it.......
I'm sorry, but I find that very frustrating and demeaning to the people on the forum. If some loonie claims a kryptonite meteor is about to hit Madonna and turn her into a supermodel, I don't repeat it without a caveat. I'm even more careful with other nonsense that might sound more credible.

By claiming that we are bombing, when we are not, old-cold is playing the game of telephone irresponsibly and you are colluding. Frankly, if "Morning Joe" did say this outright, I think they are drinking their morning joe via a colonic and deserve to be censored by the public. When news can be confused with fiction by the audience, then there is no accountability by either the media or the government.

Either journalism has being replaced by Ren and Stimpy more quickly than I have realized, or old-cold isn't very good at getting facts straight.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:57 AM

23,182 posts, read 26,338,109 times
'scuse me please.
I'm not the one that reported this bit of nonsense.
You're not reading much better than he was listening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics