Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 06:28 AM

237 posts, read 870,855 times

Advertisements

what's the main driving force behind a currency's rise or decline ?
i know that interest rates play a role but not exactly sure how.
how much of an effect do oil and other commodites have on exchange rates ?

and what countries are in the best position interest wise to boost their currency's value if they wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 10:13 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
what's the main driving force behind a currency's rise or decline ?
i know that interest rates play a role but not exactly sure how.
how much of an effect do oil and other commodities have on exchange rates ?
There are too many variables involved to point to a main driving force. However, strictly in fundamental terms, I would point to relative productivity, sometimes measured by purchasing power parity, but some years ago I developed my own method.

Clearly currency rates can deviate significantly and for long periods from what measures of relative productivity may indicate. Again, there is any number of variables at play.

All other things being equal, a higher interest rate makes it more attractive for foreigners to hold fixed-income assets in that currency.

But more often than not, all the other variables are not equal, and interest rate differentials will be just one factor influencing exchange rate movements.

Most currency traders are young and play it on intuition.

You can do currency plays based on fundamental analyses, it may work out, it may not.

Having said that, I don't think you can count the USD out, say, five years from now. The eurozone has structural problems too and the US could, conceivably, turn some of its dollar-negative policies around in the medium-term.

Good luck!

Last edited by bale002; 06-19-2008 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics