Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,156,968 times

Advertisements

But if you had to eat only gras fed cows you would turn to other meat pretty quickly. Being from cattle country I can tell you that grass fed only beef isn't what the US is use to.You can look at all the movies or propoganda you want but the taste is not anything like your use to.I am sure if aliens came to earth that ate humans they would reject the vegetrians as waste only suited for heavy labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,766,831 times
texdav is correct..grass fed cows produce a different kind of beef which takes getting used to. IMO most americans will not give up their corn fed beef.

I made the move to grass fed, bought directly from the farmer to get away from big agri factory farms that pump the animals full of antibiotics.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But if you had to eat only gras fed cows you would turn to other meat pretty quickly. Being from cattle country I can tell you that grass fed only beef isn't what the US is use to.You can look at all the movies or propoganda you want but the taste is not anything like your use to.I am sure if aliens came to earth that ate humans they would reject the vegetrians as waste only suited for heavy labor.
You can raise them grass fed and then just finish them on corn to give them a better taste.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,417,259 times
Happy

To eat cows that taste different but are more healthy is logical. To eat cows that are sick is moro..... This is America we are talking about, never mind.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:25 AM

Wild, I totally agree with you. I've totally moved off supermarket meat except for bacon/sausage until I can find a good local source that has it cured.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:03 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,417,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wild, I totally agree with you. I've totally moved off supermarket meat except for bacon/sausage until I can find a good local source that has it cured.
ever thought about making your own? We make a sort of sausage in my culture but you can't get it here. So I have been thinking about doing it myself.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
ever thought about making your own? We make a sort of sausage in my culture but you can't get it here. So I have been thinking about doing it myself.
Yup..it's entered my mind and I've done some googling on it. If I can't find a source though I may give it a try and see how it goes.

I just don't want to kill myself and the family in the process or get us all sick

That's one reason I don't ever plan to attempt canning. I'll stick with the freezing food for long term storage.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:14 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,587,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
texdav is correct..grass fed cows produce a different kind of beef which takes getting used to. IMO most americans will not give up their corn fed beef.
Oh yeah, they will.

Just like they will give up the gas cars when they will no longer be able to afford them.

Along with more than a few other things.

Just some more of the "Wonders of The Market" folks here like to talk about.

On a personal side of this -- Sort of funny, we have some Depression era and WW2 era cookbooks around the were my Grandmother's and Mother's. Heather thinks they are great because we are a veggie household and those cookbooks are full of "meatless" recipes -- no meat Pot Roast, Veggie Pie, on and on.

Hard times makes for good people. And lean ones, too.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Oh yeah, they will.

Just like they will give up the gas cars when they will no longer be able to afford them.

Along with more than a few other things.

Just some more of the "Wonders of The Market" folks here like to talk about.

On a personal side of this -- Sort of funny, we have some Depression era and WW2 era cookbooks around the were my Grandmother's and Mother's. Heather thinks they are great because we are a veggie household and those cookbooks are full of "meatless" recipes -- no meat Pot Roast, Veggie Pie, on and on.

Hard times makes for good people. And lean ones, too.
I have an old, old copy of the A&P Cookbook which has so many plain and simple, made from scratch recipes. I love that book over any of the newer cookbooks with their exotic ingredients that I never seem to have.
BTW..A&P is a big supermarket chain in the NE. Stands for Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics