Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:37 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,404,005 times

Advertisements

Ever wonder how the domino effect of all this will play out?

Check out this video

link

As has been said time and again, things are going to get MUCH worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 10:42 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,297,610 times
After Christmas the retailers are going to fall like dominoes and the malls will empty, followed by restaurants. We will be left with Wal-Mart for a while, but if prices continue to rise, even they could see problems as they are forced to raise their prices. Many people right now don't realize this is more than just an inconvenience at the pump. Its the iceberg that will sink the titanic. Bernanke should do WHATEVER it takes to get these rising prices under control. Housing is trivial compared to this.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Bchris

Do you think that there will be a good Christmas season this year? With borrowing darn near impossible except for the MOST credit worthy. I think this is going to be the worst Christmas season on record.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Bchris

Do you think that there will be a good Christmas season this year? With borrowing darn near impossible except for the MOST credit worthy. I think this is going to be the worst Christmas season on record.

This is why many retailers will go bankrupt after the first of the year. Retailers depend on Christmas to make their bottom line. If gas is $7-$10/gallon as many are predicting it will be, Santa isn't going to be the jolly generous giver we all know him as, if he can even afford gas in his sleigh.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:01 AM

^^

ahhhh gotcha I agree sir

Old 06-07-2008, 12:07 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,810,811 times
I for one will be pleased to see retail space sitting empty, instead of farmland being bulldozed for more shopping centers.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:16 PM

^^

Are you ready for everything that comes with that?

Old 06-07-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I for one will be pleased to see retail space sitting empty, instead of farmland being bulldozed for more shopping centers.
You must be a teenager that doesn't have to worry about making your bread and butter in this economy. Collapse in the retail industry would NOT be a good thing.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:18 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,576,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Many people right now don't realize this is more than just an inconvenience at the pump. Its the iceberg that will sink the titanic. Bernanke should do WHATEVER it takes to get these rising prices under control. Housing is trivial compared to this.
You may have come during part time on the game?

This is beyond the money. This is the energy product (oil) that was being used to back the money. Sort of like Gold used to be. We switched to backing it and tied it oil in the 1970's. Concept called Petro Dollars. Petrodollar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Part of why the US freaked when Saddam was going to start using Euros for the sale of oil.

But all the lying, killing and robbing is not going to save US. The USS Titanic/America already hit the iceberg. Peak Oil (the iceberg, as it were) looks like it hit about 2005 and may run through 2010. After that it is down hill fast.

But like the real Titanic, most everyone was asleep and just slept right through it. Now that water is getting up to the higher decks, folks are waking and figuring out that something is not right.

Anything the Fed does now does not have a bright prospect. Print more money, it goes worthless quicker. Raise interest rates (retract money) and the world goes into severe recession or depression. Although at this point, a severe recession/depression is the only likely method of reducing oil demand.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:28 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,918,878 times
Maybe the world should start donating us money from the billions and billions of dollars we have donated to the world... hmmm... I don't think that's going to happen... and we still donate billions and billions more each year... what is wrong with our politicians...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics