Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:46 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
China is buying up oil like no tomorrow and subsidizing it to their own population.
Inventories are down.
My Question HT is how long can they afford to keep doing this? I think they are going to have to come to terms with there own inflation problems. Now they can fudge there numbers alot easier for alot longer than the U.S. can. But if they do that for too long... and when the crack in there economy start to show....you know the dam is going to break soon afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 03:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
My Question HT is how long can they afford to keep doing this? I think they are going to have to come to terms with there own inflation problems. Now they can fudge there numbers alot easier for alot longer than the U.S. can. But if they do that for too long... and when the crack in there economy start to show....you know the dam is going to break soon afterward.
I would bet it continues at least until after the olympics.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Default Thousands of European truckers join fuel protests

Thousands of European truckers join fuel protests - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
I am hoping it reaches 4.50 a gallon by July, I bet someone a couple months ago that it will hit that milestone in July... I hope I win the free lunch otherwise I have to buy him a free lunch..

Old 06-10-2008, 06:30 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
^^

Wow, so the hardship 4.50 brings is worth free lunch eh? This country is toast.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:30 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
As long as you want. Don't forget they're using US $ to do it with. Nothing like buying stuff out from under us with our own $$.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:33 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
^^

Wow, so the hardship 4.50 brings is worth free lunch eh? This country is toast.
You know what happens when gas hits $5 a gallon? Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

People still have to go to work, trucks still have to ship, everything keeps moving along. You get up, take it in the rear, gripe about it, and keep moving.

I can't walk the 20 miles to work in a timely manner, nor can I afford the $1M that it takes to live close to work. There is no substantive transit, and likely won't be for years.

All I'll do is eat out less, maybe think twice about buying that extra gadget, and pony up. Anyone that says different is deluding themselves.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:44 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You know what happens when gas hits $5 a gallon? Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

People still have to go to work, trucks still have to ship, everything keeps moving along. You get up, take it in the rear, gripe about it, and keep moving.

I can't walk the 20 miles to work in a timely manner, nor can I afford the $1M that it takes to live close to work. There is no substantive transit, and likely won't be for years.

All I'll do is eat out less, maybe think twice about buying that extra gadget, and pony up. Anyone that says different is deluding themselves.
I appreciate the anecdotal story. However, there are people who live check to check and never had money for "extra gadgets". That means more people falling behind, that means less spending, that means a even worsening economy and so on and so on. To wish for higher gas prices (not that it wouldn't happen other wise) is to ignore the over all impact on this nation.

2011/2012 is going to be the real kick in the groins for a lot of people.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:51 PM

Two truck drivers die as fuel protests spread across Europe - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 06-11-2008, 03:54 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Well the oil bubble is back inflating. I actually thought prices had peaked and were going to go down, but we are skyrocketing back into record territory. I say $140 within a week and $150 by July 4th is guaranteed.
does nobody realise how worthless the dollar has become. so many people are banging on about the "oil bubble" and the effect of speculators. it definitely is showing signs of a bubble, but this one won't burst though. i think it's only a matter of time before the world drops the dollar as its reserve currency. when that happens it really doesn't matter what global demand is, no one will except ours dollars as payment anyway. the only blessing in all this is that we might actually wake up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics