Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 07:12 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,824,063 times

Advertisements

Not sure where to post this, since I didn't see a "taxes" forum, but I'll post it here. The other day I ran across an interesting article on the fallout at the state level from the new tax law passed in late December.

Some states will have to change their tax laws soon, or residents will be hit with higher taxes unexpectedly in 2018. One example is Michigan, where the number of exemptions claimed on the state return is tied to the federal tax return. The federal tax law for 2018 eliminated all personal exemptions at the federal level, and unless Michigan (and some other states) changes its tax laws, residents won't be able to claim any personal exemptions on their Michigan state taxes, resulting in more income subject to tax.

Fortunately, there is "talk" about changing the Michigan state law so state exemptions are no longer "attached" to the federal taxes. Hope that becomes a reality and passes here in Michigan.

Some states, however, might not change their laws and instead enjoy a windfall from residents paying more (unexpectedly) on their 2018 state taxes.

There are other potential impacts of the federal tax law at the state level as well, beyond the issue of personal exemptions being eliminated at the federal level.

In any case, I had not thought about the impact at the state level, and as I was researching a new location for the remainder of my retirement, I came across this article:

New Federal Tax Law: Individual State Conformity Laws Will Impact State Taxable Income - Budget Blogs

One excerpt from the article:

"Other states, including Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, West Virginia and Wisconsin, tie the number of personal exemptions to the number of exemptions used in the federal tax return, then apply their own state exemption amount to it. State taxable income will rise in those states unless they elect to modify their state laws to continue having a state personal exemption."

Last edited by xz2y; 02-11-2018 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics