Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:24 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,076,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There are simply not enough of them in existence.
Just as with US dollars, the supply of Swiss francs consists of more than just currency and coin in circulation. Prior to January 15, 2015, the overall supply was capped, but those limits were lifted at that time.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:29 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,606,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
I don't know a Swiss Frank, but Swiss francs are not widely enough used as reserves any more to qualify as a reserve currency. They remain important in finance for other reasons though.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:53 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,490,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
exactly my point . loads of us have been the "big boys " for a long long time . but yet you will hear those on the sideline talk about how the markets are rigged for the big boys. no one is bigger than fidelity and vanguard .
Mathjak, I always enjoy your expertise on investing, personal finance, etc...

I'm curious what you think about the Debt:GDP ratio, as well as the fact that wages aren't really rising despite the fact that the economy/market is improving.

Practically speaking, how long can that last? At some point, things can only get so profitable if consumers don't have money to spend.

My thoughts/concerns are borne out by what I saw during the last recession. I was in college/recently graduated. I saw my parents, who were fortunate enough to keep their jobs, and in solid financial shape anyway, get their first actual tax refund in years; many many people got tax refunds they didn't expect with the idea that they would go and spend the money. But instead of buying washing machines, they paid of debt or saved it. This makes sense since its a natural reaction during a recession.

I see the current plan putting money in people pockets, and I see them spending it. But I also wonder if the juice to the economy is worth the squeeze for the deficit.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:02 AM

106,980 posts, read 109,241,493 times
to tell you the truth : i don't know and don't care much about debt ratio's and other economic numbers .

i am not an economist nor am i smart enough to have enough info from all fronts to even have an opinion . i just play the cards i am dealt the best i can .

whatever the economy does , i am just interested in either profiting or protecting . that is my end of things . predicting the outcome of economic numbers is for the wanna be arm chair economists here who apparently have all the answers ..

Old 12-18-2017, 10:05 AM

18,872 posts, read 8,521,947 times
Quote:
Just as with US dollars, the supply of Swiss francs consists of more than just currency and coin in circulation. Prior to January 15, 2015, the overall supply was capped, but those limits were lifted at that time.
Sure. I don't know what the numbers are, but total USD value/numbers are way higher in the world.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:39 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,613,118 times
Quote:
Well, every economy in the world that has an actual heartbeat either has its own central bank or utilizes the services of one nearby. It's odd don't you think that all this "awesomeness" is universally not recognized in the world?
I said it would be awesome if the US$ was not the world reserve currency. It would decline in exchange value, the perpetual trade deficit would close, investment and production and wages would increase. The fiscal deficit would drop. Seems pretty awesome to me.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Sure. I don't know what the numbers are, but total USD value/numbers are way higher in the world.
US population is around 323 million and its GDP is around $18.6 trillion. For Switzerland, the numbers are 8 million and $0.7 trillion. One is a giant behemoth, and the other a tiny bunch of artisans.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I said it would be awesome if the US$ was not the world reserve currency. It would decline in exchange value, the perpetual trade deficit would close, investment and production and wages would increase. The fiscal deficit would drop. Seems pretty awesome to me.
Seems like a bunch of baloney to me. The only way for the dollar to lose its reserve status would be for our productive capacity to vanish somehow. Comet strike. Nuclear disaster. That sort of thing. As long as the US produces 22% or so of everything produced anywhere in the world, we will be A -- and most likely THE -- major economic player in the world.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:09 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,613,118 times
Quote:
The only way for the dollar to lose its reserve status would be for our productive capacity to vanish somehow.
I wasn't the one who said it would.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:10 AM

18,872 posts, read 8,521,947 times
Quote:
US population is around 323 million and its GDP is around $18.6 trillion. For Switzerland, the numbers are 8 million and $0.7 trillion. One is a giant behemoth, and the other a tiny bunch of artisans.
They might make better cheese, but not enough Francs and Franc denominated debt paper and investments to satisfy the world's demands for such large amounts of very safe and easily exchanged money/investment/debt paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.