Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 05:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i always thought that canada was still technically part of england; they still have queen elizabeth on their quarters.
Canada is a sovereign state that is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations. Canada is fully independent of England, just as Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, and other Commonwealth countries are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 05:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times
Quote:
in the small possibility this is serious, is it really worth it to go to the bank to swap pennies ?
Maybe if they had thousands of pennies, but not for a few dollars worth of pennies. I'd stick them in those plastic Easter eggs and throw them outside. Kids always seem to like collecting money from other countries.I still have some coins from Israel, Hong Kong, Canada, Italy, and a probably a few other countries that I was given as a child.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:19 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Of course you can use them in the US. I used to use them as bus fare, just toss them in the fare box.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:20 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
WOW! You can not just mix them in with U.S. money! Foreign money is NOT accepted here for payment
lol Theory and practice are two different things. Of course you can mix them in with US change. SHOULD you? Well, that's a different question.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:41 AM

1,020 posts, read 810,017 times
Sure you can use them in the US, depending on the state, it may be very common. Used to see CA coins all the time in MN, MI & OH. No one would blink an eye. Though now that I'm thinking about it, I don't see them too often now that I live in CO, but it was super common in border states, even hundreds of miles from the border.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
WOW! You can not just mix them in with U.S. money! Foreign money is NOT accepted here for payment

You have to find a U.S. Bank that will exchange it for you. Some of the larger banks such as Wells Fargo and Bank of America do exchange foreign currency. All you have to do is call.

Where to Exchange Foreign Currency for U.S Currency | USA Today
Not so easy if you are a traveler just passing through as most banks wont change foreign currency unless you have a bank account with that particular bank.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:47 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,904,471 times
If you have just a handful of Canadian coins, just mix them in with American coins. If you have a lot of them, take them to the bank and exchange them. As a business owner I don't care about getting some Canadian change, the bank will still take it in the deposit, never had a problem. Mexican change is a completely different story as it's worth much less. If Canadian money drops a lot in value, then it might start to matter. Actually, I enjoy getting different types of change. I've gotten Canadian, Thai, Chinese, German, British Pound, and probably some others I'm forgetting about. Some of the currencies haven't been in circulation for sometime.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:25 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,581,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
If you have just a handful of Canadian coins, just mix them in with American coins. If you have a lot of them, take them to the bank and exchange them. As a business owner I don't care about getting some Canadian change, the bank will still take it in the deposit, never had a problem. Mexican change is a completely different story as it's worth much less. If Canadian money drops a lot in value, then it might start to matter. Actually, I enjoy getting different types of change. I've gotten Canadian, Thai, Chinese, German, British Pound, and probably some others I'm forgetting about. Some of the currencies haven't been in circulation for sometime.
yeah, canadian cash is now considered more valuable than u.s.a. cash for some reason.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:39 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,826,306 times
Quote:
i always thought that canada was still technically part of england; they still have queen elizabeth on their quarters.
1) No. Obviously, no.

2) England is just a part - albeit the largest part, physically and population-wise - of the United Kingdom. Queen Elizabeth is the sovereign of the United Kingdom, not England. She's also the Queen of Canada, but that does not make Canada subordinate to the United Kingdom.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:41 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,603,494 times
Back on topic please - this thread isn't about Canadians and whether they tip well

Last edited by toosie; 04-02-2017 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics