Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 02:40 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,488,822 times

Advertisements

My husband's gdad and dad bought him 6 whole life insurance policies plus one annuity. I had a small one too. Due to suggestions from his dad, mine, and our financial couselor (Dave Ramsey financial counselor), we've cashed out all but the annuity and the large $250k life insurance policy. We used the $ to pay off cc debt (now debt free except the car and a small student loan) and to live on. Husband's dad suggests we keep the large policy and the annuity. Our financial planner says we should cash them out. I trust our financial planner more and want to do what's right, but don't want to upset dad-in-law. Suggestions?

Here are some specifics on the policies:
Annuity -
- date issued 1982 $8500 single premium
- balance is $40k
- earnings for year $1,300
- cash value - not sure but we think about $12k
Life Insurance
- date issued 98
- annual premium $1722 (paid from acct.)
- cash value $18k
- in 2007 - cash value increased $1750 and dividends were $506. looks like we're only making the dividends each year and paying for the cash value increases?
- total death benefit $312k (not sure how this is more than the policy; dividends are included and optional paid up life insurance rider?)

A little more about us. We're 23 and 25 and husband is in dental school. Graduates in May. Then we move to Dallas, TX for a year. He gets paid a little and I am going to find a job. Obviously, it would be nice to have the $ to live on if needed in Dallas - but like I said, we definitely want to do the smartest thing. We also have $ invested.

Thanks everyone - we really appreciate any advice you can give us.

Last edited by fisher33; 03-05-2008 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: editing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics