Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,412,472 times

Advertisements

I highly doubt we will see a bail-out because it would be a bail-out for the lenders and borrowers. There is already going to be a bail-out of sorts as loans are going to tighten and fannie mae may guarnatee some of the less risky mortgages. Alot of the information going around now is just like us getting out of NAFTA;political hogwash to get votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 09:28 AM

300 posts, read 1,216,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
A home is a THING. It is WOOD and DRYWALL and all sorts of other THINGS that are slapped together to make a CAVE with lights. What the heck is the difference? Why should I have to pay for this THING that they bought?
Actually, you bought it too.

All this leveraging that these companies have been doing has been keeping the economy propped up. All those extra flights you've been watching every day were flying because more people had more money to fly places. More business was being conducted because people had more money to spend, and that money came through leveraging real estate assets with our money, and money from foreign investors.

Our monetary supply was hugely expanded in the process.

Now, all those assets backing all those loans have collapsed. That means that the wealth that was created through all that leveraging has been destroyed. Balance sheets have been devastated, and the net result to you is that banks won't give each other what cash they have because they're not sure if they'll get repaid.

Worse yet, AIG started selling bond insurance on these assets and now they don't have enough capital left to sell bond insurance on mundane things like municipal bonds for roads, schools, and airports...

That's a big, big, problem. Businesses making payroll, large inter-bank transactions, all of that stops. Public projects. Nope. Want to start a new business, sorry.. Sell your house? No.

You may not use credit, but everyone else does.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:59 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,715,069 times
Default Boink...boink...boink...boink...boink...boink....

Obsidian97, thanks for that tasty morsel of info!

Meanwhile, I'll bet this is already ponging around Da Net like an Ultimate Frisbee, but check it out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/20/wa...=1&oref=slogin

!?!

Old 09-20-2008, 02:48 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,987,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
BOA is not asking for a bail out. If the rumor is true it is simply floating a proposal that quantifies the mortgage problems in the country.

"The proposal warns that up to $739 billion in mortgages are at “moderate to high risk” of defaulting over the next five years and that millions of families could lose their homes.

To prevent that, Bank of America suggested creating a Federal Homeowner Preservation Corporation that would buy up billions of dollars in troubled mortgages at a deep discount, forgive debt above the current market value of the homes and use federal loan guarantees to refinance the borrowers at lower rates."
Right you are, BofA is not in trouble, they just have an idea to save the rest... people don't read closely and jump to conclusions.... that's how rumors get started...

Old 09-20-2008, 02:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,128,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Obsidian97, thanks for that tasty morsel of info!

Meanwhile, I'll bet this is already ponging around Da Net like an Ultimate Frisbee, but check it out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/20/wa...=1&oref=slogin

!?!
I like how they were "stunned". Where have they been this past year ?

Old 09-20-2008, 07:41 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,187,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niners fan View Post
i bet that a lot of people who think we should bail out homeowners would be some of the first to cry foul about bailing out corporations. We are either going to bail out both or neither, hopefully neither.
neither!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2008, 01:32 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,499,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

IT IS NOT MY FAULT> It's THEIR FAULT. THEY SHOULD DEAL WITH IT> Not ME! I've been RESPONSIBLE> ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

70ford, you get the Quote of the week...even if you said it 7 months ago

Its a good thing virtue is its own reward, cause nobody else seems to care.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 AM

71 posts, read 206,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Man... I am so jealous. I have an affordable mortgage because I made a hefty downpayment and made sure the monthly payments fit my budget.
Is it too late for me to get one of these idiotic loans so that I can get the bank, and ultimately the taxpayer, to pay for my poor judgment???

Are you just now catching on this government is rigged to allow stupid worthless people to succeed and punish real men of integrity and discipline who know the truth about what's up?

It's an elite program to make a slave race to serve them- dumb down the schools, raise the children on television propaganda, and stunt their brain development with drugs, tobacco, and and crappy food combined with instant gratification entertainment everywhere to help destroy any hopes of having imagination or a single original thought in their lifetimes.

But they pay taxes just like everyone else.
:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics