Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:10 AM

9,059 posts, read 13,006,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
What is your point exactly? All you are showing is that there is indeed a bubble in emerging markets. What justified those increases?
Every one of these markets is a bubble EXCEPT ours.

Very bold statement

A devalued dollar is in play here. Their inflation rate is less than ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 AM

897 posts, read 2,463,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post

Very bold statement

A devalued dollar is in play here. Their inflation rate is less than ours.
Our dollar since 2001 has dropped 37% in value while :
The British pound is up 33.3%, Australian dollar is up 40.2%,Canadian dollar is up 43.0% ,Swiss franc is up 45.4%, and euro has jumped 46.5%

Which the fed removing the M3 report we have little clue if the dollar is worst off since the large rate cuts. But according to the fed there will be no recession.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,772,381 times
And we always believe what the Fed tells us, don't we. They know what's best for us

Doesn't matter that our food and gasoline bills are going through the roof.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:58 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,175,267 times
Quote:

Very bold statement
Yeah, good thing I never made it huh? I said the emerging markets are a bubble at the moment, I said nothing about US markets.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:13 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,175,267 times
Quote:
Since he's never really been wrong in such a way to lose considerable amounts of money, I would venture to say he's correct this time around. Peter Schiff tripled his earnings in only 7 years.
Take a room with 1000 people, give them each a coin. Now do a sequence of coin flips, if you flip heads you stay in the room otherwise you leave. Now, roughly you'll have the following:
1st flip - 500 left
2nd flip - 250 left
3rd flip - 125 left
4th flip - 62 left
5th flip - 31 left
6th flip - 15 left
7th flip - 7 left

Now, consider fund managers etc and market predictions. Just as the case above you'll have people that made the correct flip 7 times, but there is nothing special about them. They are no different than the 7 people left in the room. I find it amazing anybody takes Petter seriously, his arguments are so poor its almost like he hasn't picked up a text in economics.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:42 AM

1,821 posts, read 3,803,553 times
Default Taiwan

When will China take Taiwan? Im surprised it hasnt happened already.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:28 AM

630 posts, read 1,880,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Our dollar since 2001 has dropped 37% in value while :
The British pound is up 33.3%, Australian dollar is up 40.2%,Canadian dollar is up 43.0% ,Swiss franc is up 45.4%, and euro has jumped 46.5%

Which the fed removing the M3 report we have little clue if the dollar is worst off since the large rate cuts. But according to the fed there will be no recession.
This is mostly a function of monetary policy,ECB has been loath to cut rates as it sees an inflationary enviorment,Fed has opted to discount inflation fears in the hope of stoking growth,it won't,and will set us back to a period of slower growth,then we'll have to do what Paul Volcker did in the (big)80's,rachet interest rates back up,once investors get a whiff off rate hikes,look out Wall St!Remember,the stock market moves up,down,sideways whatever...but the bond market NEVER lies,all this rate cutting by the Fed?REAL rates have been going up.Not a healthy outlook by any means.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post
This is mostly a function of monetary policy,ECB has been loath to cut rates as it sees an inflationary enviorment,Fed has opted to discount inflation fears in the hope of stoking growth,it won't,and will set us back to a period of slower growth,then we'll have to do what Paul Volcker did in the (big)80's,rachet interest rates back up,once investors get a whiff off rate hikes,look out Wall St!Remember,the stock market moves up,down,sideways whatever...but the bond market NEVER lies,all this rate cutting by the Fed?REAL rates have been going up.Not a healthy outlook by any means.
The Bond bubble is likely to burst any day. Central banks purchase many of these sour investments to keep interest rates artificially low. Very few individuals investors actually buy these junk-ish bonds.

The lion's share of treasury purchases are by banks in the Caribbean. Hedge funds and other shady deals.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Take a room with 1000 people, give them each a coin. Now do a sequence of coin flips, if you flip heads you stay in the room otherwise you leave. Now, roughly you'll have the following:
1st flip - 500 left
2nd flip - 250 left
3rd flip - 125 left
4th flip - 62 left
5th flip - 31 left
6th flip - 15 left
7th flip - 7 left

Now, consider fund managers etc and market predictions. Just as the case above you'll have people that made the correct flip 7 times, but there is nothing special about them. They are no different than the 7 people left in the room. I find it amazing anybody takes Petter seriously, his arguments are so poor its almost like he hasn't picked up a text in economics.
Now, I didn't major in probability and statistics. My doctoral studies are in natural language understanding within the computer science cirriculum, and while we do use some statistical models to prove/disprove hypotheses, I'm by no means an expert in the probability field but I think I can address this.

You are suggesting that probability can ween down a large group of folks into a small group that appear statistically accurate over a long term. I would agree with your initial thought. However, given the population of bear pundits who have been televised over the past 10 years, of which there are very few (much much much much less than 1000), how can one person (Peter in this case), be consistently right in his accuracy? He admitted on Fox Business that he is not clairvoyant (when the host jokingly asked for that night's lottery numbers), but he understands the fundamental markets. Austrian economists have a fairly consistent track record on their GENERAL predictions as to the short to mid term outcome.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:07 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,038,985 times
Quote:
1st flip - 500 left
2nd flip - 250 left
3rd flip - 125 left
4th flip - 62 left
5th flip - 31 left
6th flip - 15 left
7th flip - 7 left

Did Peter flip a coin to make his predictions? If not, your argument is a non sequitur followed up by an unsubstantiated contention that his arguments are poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics