Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:23 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,604,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I was born in 1938, and I think, as ER does, that being close to the cusp was the best. My various cousins born at the beginning of the Silent Generation are nothing like me or my age peers in their attitudes or their life trajectories. Life was far more difficult for them.
1945-1975 was the best time to be working age, and up until 2008 it wasn't bad. If the "silent generation" was born from 1925-1945, then I think it's pretty spot on. I know lots of people from that generation. It may have been tough when they were kids, but poverty isn't bad for kids unless it comes with the other things that often accompany it, like bad parents, crime, drugs, etc. And by the time they were working age the economy, opportunities, and living standards for normal people were ramping up like never before. Real median incomes doubled in that 30 year period. Most workers had great job security and benefits. SS payments were tiny, *far* less than their eventual benefit. It's easy to be happy when things are getting better for virtually everyone at an alarming rate, and the future looks bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 02:15 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,554,394 times
Quote:
Real median incomes doubled in that 30 year period.
and it may do the same for us too. How do you claim we have it so bad today when most of the complaints are mostly from 2008 which was just 7 years ago? Those 30 years you qouted had a lot of rough spots too.

Someone like me who got out of college in 2010 and been working since missed out on the bad jobs economy and have been steadily increasing their networth. And with no student debt either.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:47 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,604,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
and it may do the same for us too.
Maybe for you, but it's way too late for me. I don't believe it will get better for you either, unless there is a drastic change quite soon.

The rise was an average of 1.6% per year from 1864 to 1928, 3% from 1932 to 1972.

Compare this to per capita GDP which has gone up at a pretty steady 1.9% per year over this period. The main reason why the rate of increase in worker incomes is either higher or lower than the GDP trend is caused by changes in the share going to capital vs labor. In the robotics thread I describe why I don't believe that the share going to labor will ever trend up again. https://www.city-data.com/forum/econo...verything.html

Last edited by rruff; 04-18-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 11:34 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,221,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Maybe for you, but it's way too late for me. I don't believe it will get better for you either, unless there is a drastic change quite soon.

The rise was an average of 1.6% per year from 1864 to 1928, 3% from 1932 to 1972.

Compare this to per capita GDP which has gone up at a pretty steady 1.9% per year over this period. The main reason why the rate of increase in worker incomes is either higher or lower than the GDP trend is caused by changes in the share going to capital vs labor. In the robotics thread I describe why I don't believe that the share going to labor will ever trend up again. https://www.city-data.com/forum/econo...verything.html

What's drastic change are you talking about? The only change is going to be that Hillary Clinton will be America's next president. And her administration is going to take TPP through, building a pound what Bush and Obama had negotiated for. The Democratic Party will continue to win, while the real left will continue to lose

Old 04-21-2015, 11:23 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,927,129 times
my kids have exciting future
A future where there is NO retirement
A future where you spend the rest of your life paying off excessive student loans acquired earning degrees that are useless for jobs that aren't there
A future where oil and water are hoarded and gouged by the .005%
A future where government reliance is at an all time high

yay

Old 04-21-2015, 10:02 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
my kids have exciting future
A future where there is NO retirement
A future where you spend the rest of your life paying off excessive student loans acquired earning degrees that are useless for jobs that aren't there
A future where oil and water are hoarded and gouged by the .005%
A future where government reliance is at an all time high

yay
You can thank the folks that love entitlements and hate the free market for that. Plus since kids these days feel entitled it will probably hit them even harder.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:16 AM

493 posts, read 443,563 times
People born after WW2 have it best. America is growing, lots of opportunity, lots of Rock & Rolls, lots of amazing people and moments.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:48 PM

3,514 posts, read 2,671,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
This seems to be the golden era of being an average American in many aspects. Like my grandparents, born in a depression and childhood was hard, but after WW2 ended that ended quickly as well. The biggest boom in mankind followed, coupling with a generation growing up in the sweet 50's. Cars, freedom, soda fountains, etc. Move on to employment where retirement is at 55 and with a pension, that many are still collecting today. They get to spend their golden years coming off the Internet boom of the 90's, use tech to stay in touch with Grandkids, and yes there were some hard times and stress but not like today's under 40 somethings.

Full disclosure - By all means every generation had something good. Many say today's kids have it too easy, and in some ways they do, but in others they dont. $100k of student loan debt is not nice. Many people today are propped up by social services, while others partake in activities considered quite debaucherous. I'm not saying the silent generation was perfect by any means, but as far as opportunity, rapid increase in standard of living due to us winning WW2, etc, they would probably have to be considered the golden generation for the average American. For the exceptionally rich American, I would say there is no better time than now post-globalization if you have the money to travel the modern world.
In some ways I'll agree with you. I have been very lucky all of my life, I married the right lady over 50 years so far. I lived thru WWII and yes I still remember the city with only chimneys pointing to the sky like fingers and climbing over rubble on my mothers hand. I remember waiting for my father to come home from Russia, but he never did. I remember coming to this great country and sailing by the statue of liberty. I remember sitting in class not understanding one word that was said but learned to speak the language. As a young teen I worked as a janitor in an apartment building. Not being a citizen I received my drafted notice first. Enlisted in the USAF served nine years all over the world Libya, Congo, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand. Lucky that I could speak a foreign language and worked in the intelligence field for a government agency. Lucky that I could get my education almost free. Again, lucky I switched major to Computer Science and had job offer from a great company in the late sixty’s.

I must say, a little luck goes a long way.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:26 AM

893 posts, read 887,010 times
Speaking for the Midwest, there are jobs today. There are lots of jobs. Jobs everywhere.

and yes, there are "well paying jobs" There just aren't enough people that want to work. Want to show up and put in 8 hours.

I work with business owners every day and they simply can't find people that will show up.

(and yes, most of these are $30-40,000 per year job "if you want to work 40 hours a week"/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aUE3XbSm1M

Old 04-23-2015, 12:16 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
Speaking for the Midwest, there are jobs today. There are lots of jobs. Jobs everywhere.

and yes, there are "well paying jobs" There just aren't enough people that want to work. Want to show up and put in 8 hours.

I work with business owners every day and they simply can't find people that will show up.

(and yes, most of these are $30-40,000 per year job "if you want to work 40 hours a week"/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aUE3XbSm1M
Yep. But millions of excuses. Can't move there. Too far from family. Blah blah. What do you think our ancestors did? They moved across the ocean to unknown parts. Hard to feel sorry for some folks. Some I can, but some I can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics