Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 09:43 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,058,284 times

Advertisements

Thus proving that you do not understand the premise.

I'm Mr. Bootstrapper. I'm the Alpha Freakin' King of Bootstrapping. My entire life has been one big bootstrapping adventure. But that has absolutely no bearing on the financial outlook of a hypothetical Millennial graduating high school in 2015 compared to a hypothetical Boomer graduating high school in 1975.

Me, the great grand and all-powerful bootstrapper is going to do well in either scenario. That has no bearing on the discussion. And that's why I'm not regaling folks with anecdotes about "Scooter, the Plucky Millennial Realtor." It is contrary to the topic: What are the prospects for Millennials as a generation compared to Boomers as a generation. Boomers had it easier than Millennials. GenX had it easier than Millennials.

Personal stories of triumph (or failure) aren't relevant.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:45 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,483,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"Bootstrapping" - ie, work hard, make sound financial decisions, support your own lifestyle choices or make different ones that you CAN support.
exactly.......and the difference between success and failure is how well you do all these things when times are tough, complicated or difficult. Everyone faces setbacks........for some that comes before adult life begins, for some in the middle and some towards the end. Its what you do about these setbacks that makes the difference.

Every generation has obstacles. Every individual has their own unique obstacles.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,376,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

I'm Mr. Bootstrapper. I'm the Alpha Freakin' King of Bootstrapping. My entire life has been one big bootstrapping adventure. But that has absolutely no bearing on the financial outlook of a hypothetical Millennial graduating high school in 2015 compared to a hypothetical Boomer graduating high school in 1975.

Me, the great grand and all-powerful bootstrapper is going to do well in either scenario. That has no bearing on the discussion. And that's why I'm not regaling folks with anecdotes about "Scooter, the Plucky Millennial Realtor." It is contrary to the topic: What are the prospects for Millennials as a generation compared to Boomers as a generation. Boomers had it easier than Millennials. GenX had it easier than Millennials.

They beat the heck out of your personal opinions touted as fact, with nothing to back them but your own rhetoric (oh, and one video - can't forget that gem!).

By the way, I understand the premise completely - I just don't agree with your position.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:

The financial outlook of a hypothetical Millenial has no bearing on whether or not any particular Millenial can be successful. All the hypothetical tells you is what obstacles in general you need to either be wary of or overcome. It doesn't even begin to address any one Millenials own personal obstacles.

I don't agree the outlook is grim. And only looking at the obstacles is a lopsided picture.

Millenials are the most highly educated generation ever, they have all the information produced by mankind at their fingertips by pushing a button. That's a pretty freaking big advantage over other generations and surely something a smart Millenial can leverage to overcome obstacles.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,058,284 times
Boomer graduating high school in 1975. Decent grades, no scholarships.

State university tuition, room, board and incidentals: $3,000 per year. Minimum wage in 1975: $2.10. Throwing away income taxes for convenience, 1,428 hours of work per year to pay tuition.

Millennial graduating in 2015. Same hypothetical kid.

State university tuition, room, board and incidentals: $25,000 per year. Minimum wage in 2015: $7.25, 3,448 hours of work per year to pay tuition. (That's almost a 70-hour workweek to pay for school.)

So how EXACTLY do Millennials have it better than previous generations?

And since KA won't consider any facts that don't have a linked chart, here's a chart: http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d...s/dt07_320.asp

Note that 2015 prices aren't on this chart. But $25,000 is an accurate number, which I pulled from a run of the mill state university. This also jibes with my first-hand experience paying for tuition while working. I'm part of the last group that could pay for school and graduate debt free. That isn't an option any more.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
exactly.......and the difference between success and failure is how well you do all these things when times are tough, complicated or difficult. Everyone faces setbacks........for some that comes before adult life begins, for some in the middle and some towards the end. Its what you do about these setbacks that makes the difference.

Every generation has obstacles. Every individual has their own unique obstacles.
I agree.

What amazes me is that within every generation, you can find people who make excuses - and people who don't. And yet, it never fails - within every generation you can find people who try to make a case against society in general when it comes to their own personal failures.

Take for instance, the "lifespan predictor." Yes - Scoop is right - those born in 1990 DO have a shorter lifespan prediction than those born in 1960. But get this - those born in 1960 have a shorter lifespan prediction than those born in 1940! We're going bass ackwards - and why is that, in light of our medical advances?

Well, line up the obesity rates of those three demographic groups and the issues become clearer. Like I said before, my parents have walked three miles a day for forty years, just to throw in a personal anecdote. My point is, though, that their age group is less likely to be obese. With each different group, obesity and inactivity increase, and the risk of diabetes and other debilitating and deadly diseases increases. THIS is a huge factor, the overriding factor in fact, in shortened lifespan predictions - and it's something that is actually caused more by a life of EXCESS than one of hardship.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Sure they are. One of the first things I learned about being successful was to look at other people who were successful and adopt some of their methods of achieving success.......whether that is in the area of financial independence, career success, raising children, planting a garden......doesn't matter it works for almost anything.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree.

What amazes me is that within every generation, you can find people who make excuses - and people who don't. And yet, it never fails - within every generation you can find people who try to make a case against society in general when it comes to their own personal failures.

Take for instance, the "lifespan predictor." Yes - Scoop is right - those born in 1990 DO have a shorter lifespan prediction than those born in 1960. But get this - those born in 1960 have a shorter lifespan prediction than those born in 1940! We're going bass ackwards - and why is that, in light of our medical advances?

Well, line up the obesity rates of those three demographic groups and the issues become clearer. Like I said before, my parents have walked three miles a day for forty years, just to throw in a personal anecdote. My point is, though, that their age group is less likely to be obese. With each different group, obesity and inactivity increase, and the risk of diabetes and other debilitating and deadly diseases increases. THIS is a huge factor, the overriding factor in fact, in shortened lifespan predictions - and it's something that is actually caused more by a life of EXCESS than one of hardship.
Haha.........anything we discuss here is a 1st world problem related to excess or the desire for more excess. If it wasn't, we would all be out looking for odd jobs or trying to hock possessions to buy a loaf of bread. BTW I'm sure you and I could trot out a whole laundry list of reasons we should not have achieved success......heck we could just start with being women lol..........there will always be whiners.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Haha.........anything we discuss here is a 1st world problem related to excess or the desire for more excess. If it wasn't, we would all be out looking for odd jobs or trying to hock possessions to buy a loaf of bread. BTW I'm sure you and I could trot out a whole laundry list of reasons we should not have achieved success......heck we could just start with being women lol..........there will always be whiners.
You got that right.

I don't even HAVE a college degree, though I do have about three years of college under my belt. My husband only has an associate's degree, and he came from a very poor family and was raised by a single mother (his father was killed in an accident when my husband was only 6). Like you said, I could come up with a whole laundry list of why we shouldn't be successful. But I'd rather focus on why we ARE successful, and pass those lessons on to our children - and anyone else who will listen.

Of course, some people will never listen.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:15 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,531,286 times
Default go to another thread or site-why answer-how did this ad to the convo dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Well boo f'n hoo. Funny you don't mention the number of over 50 professionals with education and experience that can't find a job at all. And there are a number of them struggling to survive. And you think it's wonderful for all over 50? Everyone is rich and happy over 50, give me a barf bag. Man, why do you start this type of thread.
Why answer it if you are not interested? Go to Yelp with others of your ilk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics