Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:45 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,015,513 times

Advertisements

And it has to be this ONE city?

People will wind up in Atlanta or Charlotte, or Boston or Washington, New York or Chicago, LA or San Diego, Miami or Fort Lauderdale, Columbus or Indianapolis etc.

Before one of you get your panties in a bunch about how Atlanta and Charlotte (or whatever) aren't EXACTLY the same, yeah, I know. But the point is people usually have a ballpark range of cities or features they are looking for. Unless you are an actor or professional surfer or your degree is in Eskimo Studies it would be really unusual that one city and one city only will be able to offer approximately what you're looking for.

So I guess I'm saying you might try being a little bit more flexible in your relocation options instead of taking a pay cut and wrecking your credit by being unnecessarily inflexible.

But if that is the case and it HAS to be this city then I don't see that there is any question. Take the job, dump your house, and head on to the holy land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 07:51 PM

1,915 posts, read 4,007,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
In your brain it does.
Yes, my brain sees the bigger picture. I live in a recourse state that will come after the homeowner for the balance/difference of selling a home at a loss. Also, I am sure that your credit score will most likely be slammed.....I wouldn't gamble on that seven year recovery to my score.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:02 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,329 posts, read 8,690,074 times
Money can't buy happiness.....
But happiness is tough without enough money....
You need to decide if you can afford the move, and maintain your financial well being....

Old 06-05-2014, 08:05 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,323,637 times
If i lived in Detroit and made 200k a year, i would move to California for a 50k job.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:08 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,169,202 times
Look before you leap.

You seem impulsive. Your current residence used to be good city for the long term or you wouldn't have purchased a house there.

Consider this situation. What if the same thing happens in your new city? You would not only be ready to make a second move. You also have ruined your credit and taken a huge financial hit on the house.

Now ask yourself this question. Can I restore those same feelings that motivated me to buy a house? Can I get that feeling back that made you say "This is my home for the long haul."?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:36 PM

658 posts, read 851,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Yes, my brain sees the bigger picture. I live in a recourse state that will come after the homeowner for the balance/difference of selling a home at a loss. Also, I am sure that your credit score will most likely be slammed.....I wouldn't gamble on that seven year recovery to my score.

That's all you had to say in your first post. Your 'seems like a no brainer' was not necessary. Everything's a 'brainer'- you weigh the pros and cons of matters big or small.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:39 PM

658 posts, read 851,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Look before you leap.

You seem impulsive. Your current residence used to be good city for the long term or you wouldn't have purchased a house there.

Consider this situation. What if the same thing happens in your new city? You would not only be ready to make a second move. You also have ruined your credit and taken a huge financial hit on the house.

Now ask yourself this question. Can I restore those same feelings that motivated me to buy a house? Can I get that feeling back that made you say "This is my home for the long haul."?

How did you infer this? If I was impulsive, I wouldn't have asked for opinions, I would've just moved away and hoped for the best.

I was born and raised here. I purchased the house a long time ago. I had no plans to move when I bought it. Things change.

I am definitely not here for the long haul. If that employer would've offered me a position making similar to what I do now, I would say 'toodles' to this house in a heartbeat.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,128,626 times
If your investments are completely liquid, you could use them to pay down the credit card debt. No market portfolio can post anywhere near the risk adjusted returns after taxes that your non-tax deductible credit cards can charge you.

Short sale on the house would stink, but if you could move and buy a new house first, you could ditch the old one into a short sale/foreclosure and if you weren't buying another house for a decade it wouldn't hurt you much.

Just some ideas. I'd be willing to take a pay cut to move from an awful city to a great one, but I already moved to my ideal location.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:05 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,038,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Money can't buy happiness.....
But happiness is tough without enough money....
You need to decide if you can afford the move, and maintain your financial well being....
If you can live reasonably on the new salary, if the short sale is not so overwhelming it leaves you hopelessly behind, than given a better labor market do your best estimate of future income new city vs old. If it is a reasonably financially neutral long-term choice or even close, and you answered yes to both of my first 2 phrases, I'd take the offer and move.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:16 AM

22,062 posts, read 25,437,389 times
Unless I was changing fields and thus starting at the bottom, I would not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics