Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,961 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,

i really need advice and/or feedback regarding my sitiuation...

i lied about my "salary" and "job title " to a potential employer.

post interview, i completed forms for a background check. They also asked for a copy of my drivers license.

will this be discovered on the background check?

do this mean they are considering me for employement? (regarding background check forms)

should i just withdrawel my application? (i never lied to employers to before...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:56 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,783,423 times
they will find out that you lied about the position, that is straight on the background check...whats not on there is the salary.

if you get lucky they will over look the position and not notice it, but many will so id withdraw your application....you should never lie. you probably did this to get paid more money, but in the end they will usually find out or if they ask you for a minimum salary range and you put something really high or low they will know you arent experienced enough to know the market rate for the position.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:59 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,628,517 times
Your salary and title are linked to your driving record. They can only find that out from your previously employer.

Did none of this cross your mind when you lied in the first place?

Now was the lie a 'little white lie' or was it a triple whopper with cheese?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,302,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Your salary and title are linked to your driving record. They can only find that out from your previously employer.

Did none of this cross your mind when you lied in the first place?

Now was the lie a 'little white lie' or was it a triple whopper with cheese?
Source? I don't think the bold is true at all.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,302,532 times
OP, they will probably find out when they call your old employer.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:30 AM

416 posts, read 874,013 times
Very, very likely to be discovered.

As a hiring manager for a major corporation, I've seen this happen before. If the background investigation at my company discovers gross misstatements of information about one's past, the candidate is immediately declined and barred from ever reapplying with the company for any position again.

Now, it varies from company to company... but just think... do you think an employer wants a liar working for them?

Old 12-19-2013, 10:43 AM

32,792 posts, read 48,606,617 times
If they find the lie, they won't hire you. Chances are very high that the lie will be discovered unless it is a low paying job with a small business.

I don't see any benefit to withdrawing the application. If you withdraw, then you don't get the job, just the same as if you leave the application and they check on you. Same result: you don't get the job.

You can let it play out, but I hope you feel really guilty and don't do it again.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,593,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post
Very, very likely to be discovered.

As a hiring manager for a major corporation, I've seen this happen before. If the background investigation at my company discovers gross misstatements of information about one's past, the candidate is immediately declined and barred from ever reapplying with the company for any position again.

Now, it varies from company to company... but just think... do you think an employer wants a liar working for them?
Yep. My resume was 100% truth and the recruiter told me that any irregularities would result in the offer being rescinded. Even differences in dates, salary or gross misstatements of job titles. The background check should bring back what's on your resume.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:14 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,474,498 times
Applying for a job is always a negotiation.

I have never really seen salary come up in background checks, unless it's a very detailed background check or peaks some one's interest. I try not to say what I am currently making unless it is very essential. They pay me what they think I am worth, and I agreed with it.

Job title is a bit different. That's easy to find, and how far it is off can be a big warning sign. I have had different job titles on my resume then I actually held and no one has batted an eye through many background checks. They were often very close though, and I was prepared if anyone asked. If it was very far off (waiter when you put general manager of the region) they would notice it quickly and likely bar you.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:47 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,042,789 times
You DID work for the place you said right? Just lied about the salary and title.

IF the titles are not far off then maybe you could get away with it.
For example you were a writer -- and said writer/editor...or you were a tutor or instructor -- and you said teacher or trainer.

As for salary -- IF you get bonuses, and IF you get the chance to explain the different numbers you MIGHT be able to clarify that you included bonuses or commissions in your salary. (because for the last 5 years you've never NOT had a guaranteed bonus, or your commissions for the last three years have grown every year and never been less than XYZ amount.

(for example on my check stub it says "X," but I take TIME for all holidays worked so TECHNICALLY I EARNED much more, which would include extra time-and-a-half "Y," and if I ever leave my job they still will pay me for that TIME on the books. So that is SALARY (I have coming if I never take the days.) My check would have been bigger if I'd taken money instead of time -- SO I definitely earned the higher amount which is not on a check stub. And if they called my headquarters and asked I don't know WHICH number they'd get -- likely the lower number, because the person answering the phone in HR would look at what's ben paid, not include what's OWED.)

But you have to get the chance to explain all that. And you might not if they catch the lies and just dismiss you as a candidate. And next time....don't lie. Although I would round up a bit.

Also go to the work/employment thread...applying for jobs, work place questions is all they discuss. Some GREAT advice there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics