Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times

Advertisements

I'm impressed. The Feds got their budget cut by 3%, and they can no longer pay for Air traffic controllers, National Parks, Medicare, teacher's salaries, school lunches, the military and military salaries, the post office. Nobody has threatened to let all the prisoners lose yet, but that is coming, I am sure.

I keep thinking, "Wow. The Feds can sure get a lot of value out of 3% of the budget." It makes me wonder what they are spending the other 97% on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,324,126 times
Federal spending cuts - bring 'em on!

Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,995,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm impressed. The Feds got their budget cut by 3%, and they can no longer pay for Air traffic controllers, National Parks, Medicare, teacher's salaries, school lunches, the military and military salaries, the post office. Nobody has threatened to let all the prisoners lose yet, but that is coming, I am sure.

I keep thinking, "Wow. The Feds can sure get a lot of value out of 3% of the budget." It makes me wonder what they are spending the other 97% on.
I had a discussion with my politically liberal friends back in November about the fiscal cliff...and they were like "Would it really be the end of the world if we went off the cliff?". I think if we'd had the same discussion a year or two ago, they wouldn't have said that....so I think at least some people are realizing that we are going to have to bite the bullet.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM

927 posts, read 2,468,041 times
Quote:

YAY! Let's get that 3% cut to about 30%!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:16 PM

5,365 posts, read 5,149,735 times
Quote:

The stupid thing is that they did a line item cut instead of an across the board cut. So all programs had to take a % cut, which puts small programs with one or two people involved in tough situations. It would be much better if the military or other selected entities could just abolish certain programs while keeping others fully funded.

That being said, If the government really wants to save money, it must get rid of the overlap in bureaucracy. Why do we have a CIA and an FBI? Why do we have a National Guard, Army, Marines, and Special Forces? The agencies listed all overlap each other. We should get rid of the FBI and make them a part of the CIA. We should get rid of the Army and Marines place them into either the National Guard or Special Forces. So on so forth with all the government agencies.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 PM

13,664 posts, read 9,736,948 times
900,000 federal government employees are looking at a 20% pay cut. Let me repeat that: twenty percent pay cut. How would a 20% reduction in your paycheck affect you? Just a belt-tightening?

How about a 20% federal income surtax increase instead? How would that feel? I don't mean a 20% tax increase, but taking another 20% of people's paychecks for federal taxes... so for some people that would be a 200% tax increase. Belt-tightening?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:42 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,183,445 times
Quote:
900,000 federal government employees are looking at a 20% pay cut. Let me repeat that: twenty percent pay cut. How would a 20% reduction in your paycheck affect you? Just a belt-tightening?
They are lucky they still have jobs. Next year they may not.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,737,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

How about a 20% federal income surtax increase instead? How would that feel? I don't mean a 20% tax increase, but taking another 20% of people's paychecks for federal taxes... so for some people that would be a 200% tax increase. Belt-tightening?
Basically what it amounts to is 1 day furlough per week for 22 weeks (from April to September).

The way I feel about it is that everyone is feeling the pinch of a lousy economy and cutbacks like this are no exception....join the club.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,386,506 times
Don't expect a haircut. They will slice our ear off instead to show us how essential are their hair doos.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 AM

762 posts, read 1,100,451 times
Default No pain, no lessons learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1
Don't expect a haircut. They will slice our ear off instead to show us how essential are their hair doos.
Whatever it takes; these cuts were known for almost 2 years already. Devoted to no one cuts is the right thing to do when the culture is me, me, me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics