Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 06:28 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,277,866 times

Advertisements

A discussion I have not seen is about the recent change in law which requires employers to default employees as contributing to their 401K Pension Plans, as opposed to having to proactively select to make these contributions.

A few questions for our astute forum posters:

-Do you think this is fair?

-Do you think this unfairly enriches financial investment houses?

-What impact do you think this will have on the financial markets?

-What impact do you think this might have on Social Security payouts?

-Do you think this is an intelligent approach towards fixing our inadequate savings rate?

New 401k plan rewards for nothing - Retirement - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 PM

5,642 posts, read 25,006,263 times
They can opt out but if they do nothing they are in… IMO it is the best default.

I think it is more fair than leaving them out. It will only unfairly enrich financial investment houses if the company contracts for a poor plan. I don’t think it will have a major impact on the markets but have no real data to state that. I do not see how it will have any impact on SS. It is only a single step in addressing inadequate savings.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,277,866 times
Do you think it is possible that Social Security might be "means tested" for benefits in the timeframe it is expected to start running into financial shortfalls (best guess today from their administrators is 2041)?

The reason I ask this is, would a "fat" 401K possibly become somewhat self defeating if the assets accumulated in the 401K would be part of a means test asset base, possibly resulting in reduced Social Security benefits for the "wealthy" members of society?

Just a thought, I hadn't really ever seen this discussed as a potential item of concern.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:34 AM

5,642 posts, read 25,006,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Do you think it is possible that Social Security might be "means tested" for benefits in the timeframe it is expected to start running into financial shortfalls (best guess today from their administrators is 2041)?

The reason I ask this is, would a "fat" 401K possibly become somewhat self defeating if the assets accumulated in the 401K would be part of a means test asset base, possibly resulting in reduced Social Security benefits for the "wealthy" members of society?

Just a thought, I hadn't really ever seen this discussed as a potential item of concern.
Certainly it is conceivable that AGI could be used to means test SS in the future.

For this reason and because RMD’s from IRA/401s at 70.5 can have other tax implications I always suggest using maxing Roth accounts (after getting matching funds) before putting more funds into IRAs or 401 accounts.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:15 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,628,188 times
You left out one reason companies want this. The employees are automatically enrolled in buying their company stock while the executives continue to cash out. It helps finance executive compensation plans by creating another source of funds for corporate shares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics