Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,271,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
Ok, right now I currently work in the restaurant/hospitality industry, I'm currently working 2 full time jobs. One as a sous chef and one as a lead line cook in fine dinning restaurants (a lead line cook is a person that knows all station and basically coordinates the other line cooks along with the expo). Just recently I applied at a 5 star luxury retirement resort and got a call a day later for an interview, the interview went flawlessly and i felt very comfortable with the chef and company as a whole. During the interview I informed him that I worked 2 jobs and that I was looking to leave one in pursuit of an even more prestigious/luxury work place. During the interview he informed me that he doesn't do set schedule, which would mean that there would be a chance that this new job and one of my older jobs would overlap, and I would possibly be scheduled at the same time at both jobs. The job pays me the same as im paid at my other jobs ($12hr) but has ALOT of benefits, which include a guaranteed $2 raise after 60 day retirement, it's full time, unlimited overtime, dental, health insurance, Id be out of work at 8pm (instead of 11pm or later at my night job), and I can use the gym and pool facilities FOR FREE, and the work is less demanding. Now here come the dilemma after I passed my drug test and background he offered me the position on the spot and I accepted. Do you guys think I should leave my two current jobs for this one. I know it's ultimately my decision but I just wanted some input. Financially I'm pretty good I have a very decent saving (close to 50k) have no debt, and my monthly expenses are about 350-450 a month for EVERYTHING! Right now I make about 850 a week (after taxes) at my 2 current jobs, but I have to work insane hours. So if you were in this situation what would you do. And also this retirement home happens to be VERY close to where I want to buy a house (not buying now, maybe in 5 years). I have by December to make a decision.
Go w/ the new job...You gotta grow and expand, and this sounds like an opportunity for you to do that. If you stay friendly w/ the jobs you are in, you'll always have the opportunity to fill in once in awhile. Congrats!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 PM

38 posts, read 61,722 times
Wow, I wish I was like you..
I turned 20 sort of recently, but im in college with no job and living off my parents lol =(.

Im sorry I cant contribute to your situation,
but what area do you live in? When I was reading your post, I imagined you grinding it out somewhere in NYC O_o...

Old 11-21-2012, 04:10 PM

103 posts, read 326,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Go w/ the new job...You gotta grow and expand, and this sounds like an opportunity for you to do that. If you stay friendly w/ the jobs you are in, you'll always have the opportunity to fill in once in awhile. Congrats!!!
Thanks, I think I'm going to take the new job, and I'm giving my 2 prior jobs 2 weeks, and I'm a very valuable employee so I have no worries of leaving an coming back, all both of them actually asked me no to leave lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The great chase View Post
Wow, I wish I was like you..
I turned 20 sort of recently, but im in college with no job and living off my parents lol =(.

Im sorry I cant contribute to your situation,
but what area do you live in? When I was reading your post, I imagined you grinding it out somewhere in NYC O_o...
Thanks man it feels good to have someone of my age acknowledge my hard work. And no im not in NYC (too hard to get ahead with the cost of living) I was offered a position in new york that paid very very well but the rent there is retarded. Im in South Carolina. I'm not going to school but I plan to start a local tech course sometime soon. What college to you go to? And if I were you I'd live off of your parents as long as you can. Just try to find a part time job and you'll be able to save ALOT of money because you would have no bills. Thats what I did until my 19th b-day and then I moved out because I was making good money and my rent is really low, but when you leave your parents house leave in good spirit because the future is not certain and you might need to return.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:18 PM

38 posts, read 61,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
Thanks, I think I'm going to take the new job, and I'm giving my 2 prior jobs 2 weeks, and I'm a very valuable employee so I have no worries of leaving an coming back, all both of them actually asked me no to leave lol.

Thanks man it feels good to have someone of my age acknowledge my hard work. And no im not in NYC (too hard to get ahead with the cost of living) I was offered a position in new york that paid very very well but the rent there is retarded. Im in South Carolina. I'm not going to school but I plan to start a local tech course sometime soon. What college to you go to? And if I were you I'd live off of your parents as long as you can. Just try to find a part time job and you'll be able to save ALOT of money because you would have no bills. Thats what I did until my 19th b-day and then I moved out because I was making good money and my rent is really low, but when you leave your parents house leave in good spirit because the future is not certain and you might need to return.
I'm going to UC Davis and after financial aid I pay 10k a year for tuition and housing. I still need to pay for other expenses. 10k a year isn't too bad.

I hope you make it man. I'm trying very hard to do it myself.
Good luck to you

Oh and how did you get started in the food business? I applied to work at in n out and and some other places a while back..

Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 PM

103 posts, read 326,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The great chase View Post
I'm going to UC Davis and after financial aid I pay 10k a year for tuition and housing. I still need to pay for other expenses. 10k a year isn't too bad.

I hope you make it man. I'm trying very hard to do it myself.
Good luck to you

Oh and how did you get started in the food business? I applied to work at in n out and and some other places a while back..
Yeah, 10k a year isn't bad, I started in the restaurant industry when I was 17, I was a dishwasher at a Hilton hotel, then after 2 months of that I got tired of washing dishes so I expressed that to the sous chef and asked if I could prep cook for one day out of my work week. One day a week prepping became five days a week prepping (and not dishwashing) very quickly. But basically I started from the bottom and worked my way up to sous chef (second man in charge). Many restaurants of the restaurant that ive worked at are 5 star restaurants, but over the last 3 years I relized that they don't pay very well where I live. I'm a sous chef right now (well was because I'm resigning) and I'm supposed to get salary but I don't. The best advice I can give you if you want to get into the food industry is be ambitious, try to find a prep cook job that requires basically no work experience. Good luck with all you goals man and ALWAYS stay positive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics