Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,894,669 times

Advertisements

With all the talk about the market, "going up" or "hitting new highs", you have to ask yourself, new highs in what?

-After inflation (of at least 5-6% over the last 10 years for real people), the DOW is up maybe 1-2% in real terms since Greenspans "irrational exuberance" of '96. And thats on top of the wildest bubbles in history.

-In euro's, the market has been crushed. Didn't it start out around .85 cents when it was introduced (in 99, 00?) and now it's $1.40.

-In gold and commodities, thoroughly crushed.

I wonder, what are the odds that we can avoid a Northern Rock bank run here in the US (or much worst)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 02:41 PM

607 posts, read 1,403,848 times
These posts were from a year ago...this is interesting.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Yes very interesting.

"Irrational exuberance" turned into "Irrational stupidity".

Old 09-26-2008, 03:10 PM

316 posts, read 693,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I think things will get worse. A lot more mortgages are going to re-set well into 2008. .

t's not over yet. Here is the ARM resets schedule through 2008.

(source JP Morgan)
March 07 = 6 billion $
April 07 = 7 billion $
May 07 = 9.8 billion $
June 07 = 10 billion $
July 07 = 12 billion $
Aug 07 = 17.5 billion $
Sept 07 = 18 billion $
Oct 07 = 20 billion $
Nov 07 = 23 billion $
Dec 07 = 22.5 billion $
Jan 08 = 25 billion $
Feb 08 = 25 billion $
March 08 = 23 billion $
April 08 = 22.5 billion $
May 08 = 24 billion $
June 08 = 18 billion $
July 08 = 20 billion $
Aug 08 = 25 billion $
Sept 08 = 23 billion $
Oct 08 = 23 billion $
Nov 08 = 23 billion $
Dec 08 = 20 billion $

Old 09-26-2008, 03:43 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,876,200 times
Default ARM resets in 2009?

Does anyone have the ARM reset numbers for 2009?

Old 09-26-2008, 04:02 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,396,255 times
Here is a chart showing the upcoming resets by category. While subprime has dominated the media, the impact of the Option ARMs and Alt-A is still to come and will continue for quite a while. The Option ARMS are really scary, because financially-strapped homeowners can keep negatively amortizing themselves into a deeper and deeper hole... especially if they're planning to walk away eventually.

I think this chart makes a lot of sense, because real estate traditionally peaks and valleys in seven-year cycles. The peak was 2005-2006, so that would put the valley around 2012-2013-- right where the chart would indicate. Of course, with all this market manipulation, who knows? Many of these loans will not reset-- people will either bail, be bailed out or opportunistically refi.

Last edited by goodbyehollywood; 11-24-2008 at 03:29 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 06:10 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I think things will get worse. A lot more mortgages are going to re-set well into 2008. I'm not happy that a bunch of people were suckered into buying more house than they could afford and weren't able to understand or read the fine print of what they were getting into. Lenders shouldn't have been lending to people without verifying the borrower's income and other information. And there were a lot of investors who invested in these "bundled" investments of loans without knowing what they were getting into (such as Northern Rock, a British bank which had a "run" on the bank the other day and had to be bailed out by the Bank of England). I think some of this borders on fraud.
You are generous to say "borders" on fraud. I believe it was out and out fraud.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:50 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,293,821 times
My prediction is the economy is going in the crapper big time after the first of the year. The Federal Reserve are a bunch of criminals and nothing they do surprises me. If you have to ask if this was a moral hazard you have completely lost your moral compass. Hey people we are reaping what we have sown. When you base an economy on lies and debt, it has to collapse, everyone lied, cheated, and profited from a liars economy. No one cared as long as they were getting what they wanted and living the high life. Now the bill is due and nothing anyone does will stop the carnage.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,185,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
OK, what would you have done, what consequences would you expect, and why do you feel it would be a more appropriate approach?
Congress has the power to negate and undo any action taken by the Federal Reserve.

If the Federal Reserve lowers interest rates, then Congress should have raised taxes and/or cut government spending in order to limit the amount of money.

Congress could have eliminated the mortgage interest deduction. It could have levied a tax on credit card interest, by taxing the banks on the interest they charged and/or taxing the people, for example if you paid $2,000 in credit card interest in 2002, then you owe $2,000 in taxes.

Had Bush done any of those things, would he have been re-elected in 2004?

Not no, but hell no.

If he had done them recently, would the Republicans have a chance at winning the 2008 Election? Not no, but hell no.

If the Gorebot had been elected in 2000 and done what was necessary, he would not have been re-elected in 2004.

The biggest problem is the American electorate. The vast majority are ignorant, selfish, self-interested, greedy, materialistic, undisciplined and lack any understanding of economics or finance, especially personal finance.

I can make such broad sweeping characterizations because they've proven it repeatedly, if for no other reason than Americans refuse to save money. What moron buys a car with 0% down for 60 or 72 months? There's no way to possibly justify it, just as there's no possible way to justify purchasing a home with less than 20% down, or buying a $3,000 plasma TV and paying $2,000 in interest on it.

A recession is inevitable, and the best thing that could happen is a massive tax hike that throws the country into a recession to clear out the crap and restructure everything, but I don't think you'll see that out of either candidate for exactly the reasons I mentioned about.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 PM

316 posts, read 693,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
My prediction is the economy is going in the crapper big time after the first of the year. The Federal Reserve are a bunch of criminals and nothing they do surprises me. If you have to ask if this was a moral hazard you have completely lost your moral compass. Hey people we are reaping what we have sown. When you base an economy on lies and debt, it has to collapse, everyone lied, cheated, and profited from a liars economy. No one cared as long as they were getting what they wanted and living the high life. Now the bill is due and nothing anyone does will stop the carnage.
YEP ! Things are going to get very ugly very soon!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics