Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:51 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,587,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz99clem View Post
It's very disappointing to not see more discussion about this. It is the #1 issue that is comfronting our economy, but few are even willing to discuss it. The response by the Obama administration has been very poor. It follows a pattern of allowing our international trade partners to do whatever they want to protect their own economies, while continuing to take millions of jobs from the U.S. Most of the republicans candidates are equally as weak on this topic, with the only exception being Mitt Romney.
Oh, there are plenty of discussions on it.

But you have to understand that it is not some accident. This is intentional.

Part of what the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) sponsors, so of course both the Republican Corporation and the Democrat Corporation support it. The .gov even helps pay for it happen faster through OPIC.

Members of the Council on Foreign Relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plenty of Ds and Rs on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 04:30 AM

4,549 posts, read 6,848,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz99clem View Post
It's very disappointing to not see more discussion about this. It is the #1 issue that is comfronting our economy, but few are even willing to discuss it. The response by the Obama administration has been very poor. It follows a pattern of allowing our international trade partners to do whatever they want to protect their own economies, while continuing to take millions of jobs from the U.S. Most of the republicans candidates are equally as weak on this topic, with the only exception being Mitt Romney.
I've been discussing this with many people since the news of the new tariffs was announced Wednesday. Most people agree that it is not good for the future of the United States but they feel that there is nothing that they can do to change it. There is a wide-spread belief, and sad acceptance, that the politicians and powerful people run this country for their own benefit.

Many people have accepted that their best bet is to try and fit into "the game" as best they can so they aren't left on the outside. Unfortunately ideals, values, and integrity are often set aside since earning a decent living and staying employed to support one's family is the primary objective of most people, especially in a bad economy.

I have called my congressman, and senators about concerns with our banking system before Lehman collapsed. I called my congressman about this issue. Regardless of the specific questions I have asked, the responses I have received were form letters with their campaign talking points. Their responses had nothing to do with what I called about. It is nearly impossible to actually talk to one of my representatives.

The system is broken and will not change unless a focused critical mass relentlessly demands answers.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,635,111 times
The system is not broken.

China is sacrificing their consumers, for the sake of their automotive industry.

As an American consumer, I don't want to be sacrificed to save any American industries. I support free trade.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM

4,549 posts, read 6,848,461 times
The US should adopt reciprocal trade policies. We will impose the same restrictions, duties, taxes, and tariffs that the trading nation imposes on our exports. If they trade freely we will reciprocate and allow them to trade freely here. If they impose a 50% duty/tariff then we will do the same.

Nobody will be allowed to one-up the USA. It's time for us to stop being the chump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics