Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:24 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,537,722 times

Advertisements

The Top 0.1% Of The Nation Earn Half Of All Capital Gains - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 01:36 PM

20,741 posts, read 19,451,314 times

Most of that is in the form of sleep and earn economic rents of real estate, monopolies, insurance and real estate.

They love to love to hold hands with real capitalists who create goods and services so they can call resource squatting a "capital gain".

Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM

21,360 posts, read 19,981,576 times
I'd be in favor of an increase in capital gains tax, preferably by keeping 15% for gains of less than a certain amount and progressively higher for larger amounts.

(Conservative Republican)

Old 11-20-2011, 04:18 PM

5,527 posts, read 6,406,224 times
Quote:
real capitalists who create goods and services
Where do you thing those "real capitalists" get their start up seed money from? You want to start up a company but you have no money, so you write a business plan and use seed money borrowed from a bank or a venture capital group to start up. They loan you the money and expect a return on investment. You borrow the money and expect to grow a profitable business. They help each other and if all goes right, they both profit. You can't have one without the other, so get over your sniveling, class warfare nonsense that I am sooooo tired of hearing lately. This is how our economy works.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:12 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,932,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Where do you thing those "real capitalists" get their start up seed money from? You want to start up a company but you have no money, so you write a business plan and use seed money borrowed from a bank or a venture capital group to start up. They loan you the money and expect a return on investment. You borrow the money and expect to grow a profitable business. They help each other and if all goes right, they both profit. You can't have one without the other, so get over your sniveling, class warfare nonsense that I am sooooo tired of hearing lately. This is how our economy works.
I agree... starting a business is hard work and maintaining that success is even 100X harder... if they earn money from success then they deserve it... the people who say tax this and tax that, stop stealing from those who succeeded one year without knowing what next year will be like...

Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Where do you thing those "real capitalists" get their start up seed money from? You want to start up a company but you have no money, so you write a business plan and use seed money borrowed from a bank or a venture capital group to start up. They loan you the money and expect a return on investment.
You borrow the money and expect to grow a profitable business. They help each other and if all goes right, they both profit. You can't have one without the other, so get over your sniveling, class warfare nonsense that I am sooooo tired of hearing lately. This is how our economy works.
You mean like this?

Hot dog stand next on Niagara Falls :

$5000 for capital including equipment and hot dogs. Money borrowed at %10 interest would be a $500 annual expense. If the unit cost is $2 how many will he need to sell to make a decent living with 10,000 people foot traffic? Depends on demand but lets say the best spot on the curve is $3.00 x 300. Sounds like your plan doesn't it? A productive loan where product expands with the money supply. He will break even in just a few days too.

That is a real good common sense example like you are talking about right? However why don't I still get it? Can anyone guess what my problem is?

Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,260,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You mean like this?

Hot dog stand next on Niagara Falls :

$5000 for capital including equipment and hot dogs. Money borrowed at %10 interest would be a $500 annual expense. If the unit cost is $2 how many will he need to sell to make a decent living with 10,000 people foot traffic? Depends on demand but lets say the best spot on the curve is $3.00 x 300. Sounds like your plan doesn't it? A productive loan where product expands with the money supply. He will break even in just a few days too.

That is a real good common sense example like you are talking about right? However why don't I still get it? Can anyone guess what my problem is?
You gave a good example that is simple to understand. Good Job..

However, I think it's best of you just come forward with your problem rather than play a guessing game.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:20 PM

22,050 posts, read 25,409,853 times
And yet about half, probably more than half tbh, of the Forbes 400 are nouveau riche.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You gave a good example that is simple to understand. Good Job..

However, I think it's best of you just come forward with your problem rather than play a guessing game.
Thanks.

Now how about if a land squatter owned the land that the hot dog stand was on, and would lease it to the hot dog stand for $1,000 a month?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:15 PM

5,418 posts, read 9,227,147 times
Too bad, so sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics