Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,984,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i do agree with this, although i may be a little more hopeful than you.

i know people with good values who aren't getting any attention, and they are just trying to live their lives. it's the squeaky wheels getting the grease now.

all this country needs is a leader with a STRONG MORAL COMPASS to lead.

and this certainly isn't helpful:
As a way to solve the national debt crisis, North Carolina Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue recommends suspending congressional elections for the next couple of years.

“I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won’t hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover,” Perdue said at a rotary club event in Cary, North Carolina, according to the Raleigh News & Observer. “I really hope that someone can agree with me on that.” (WTH!)

the above statement is about an america that i don't recognize anymore.

it is true that we have big problems.

we now have a super committee meeting in secret, invasive TSA searches, a patriot act that we "won't like", stealth wars and stealth invasions of other countries, secret spending, secret lending facilities, secret loans, deals for institutional investors (you know who) that others literally cannot get, random currency debasement by an increasingly ineffective federal reserve, and then add the fact that congress is allowed to buy and sell on advance trading knowledge.

leaders have to lead by example. once we get someone who does the right thing--punishes the bad behavior and rewards the good behavior-- we WILL get back on track. americans understand that they are being LOOTED now and some are starting to act inappropriately as a result of fear or anger. (again, many are not)

if the "leaders" won't fix things and make it right, we still have it in our power to FORCE change.
President does not run the country. You do know, of course, who does.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:01 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,923,778 times
certainly a good honest president could go a long way towards steering the country back.

i watched an interesting video from mises institute for anyone who has the time. it discusses the wall street protest (and the misguided efforts of some of them), especially around 5 minutes and 15 minutes in:

Tom Woods on the Wall Street Protests

we have an entire system that now encourages malinvestment and fraud. the way it is set up right now it encourages risk,(not a good thing for citizens to be engaged in) because americans cannot possibly just save conservatively and get ahead when their currency is being debased at the same time. they cannot possibly keep up with inflation and that is done intentionally. we can't even imagine an america without inflation running rampant anymore, thanks to the machinations of the federal reserve.

i really do like that people are starting to get that something is really wrong with these bailouts, but i am not sure that it is being channeled properly-since some of the wall street protestors just want more of the same. (more bailouts, more malinvestment, etc.)

at least the right leaning (tea party) and the left leaning (wall street protests) understand that there is something fundamentally going wrong in this country now with the way the system is set up.

i think it is almost frightening that some of our ELECTED representatives are openly talking about suspending elections-even if it is meant as a joke. (which really isn't very funny when you think about it). to me, it just confirms that we are headed in the wrong direction as a country and going further down the wrong path.

i guess it is true that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

we do NOT need leaders like this.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics