Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:01 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times

Advertisements

i assume it really isn't that expensive, because i know that a lot of taxis in australia run on natural gas.

i looked up ehow and found this article:
Compressed Natural Gas CNG Conversion Kits - Companies that Offer CNG Conversions and Installation

evidently, you can even install a CNG compressor at your house—this company offers one for $4,500.

i would also assume the more people did conversions and competition was created, the cheaper it would get.

can you imagine how many new jobs would be created with this conversion capability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 05:10 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i assume it really isn't that expensive, because i know that a lot of taxis in australia run on natural gas.

i looked up ehow and found this article:
Compressed Natural Gas CNG Conversion Kits - Companies that Offer CNG Conversions and Installation

i would also assume the more people did it, the cheaper it would get. can you imagine how many jobs would be created with this conversion capability?
Yeah, but there are some trade-offs in all this.

For the fleet operators it does make sense. They have their own maintenance crews, fueling stations, etc.

Before I asked you if the story regarding fees were true, I did look up some EPA details, but found mostly fee waiver details for small business conversion shops.

It seems that since doing this voids the original clean air warranty, so the EPA wants someone to be accountable. That is the basis of any inspections and fees.

Also as a potential owner, it voids the gas engine warranty of the manufacturer. So the choice becomes doing this to "new" car which then has no warranty, or doing it do an older car with miles already piled up on it.

Overall, for any wide acceptance, it would probably be best to have new cars coming off the production line, NG ready.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Yeah, but there are some trade-offs in all this.

For the fleet operators it does make sense. They have their own maintenance crews, fueling stations, etc.

Before I asked you if the story regarding fees were true, I did look up some EPA details, but found mostly fee waiver details for small business conversion shops.

It seems that since doing this voids the original clean air warranty, so the EPA wants someone to be accountable. That is the basis of any inspections and fees.

Also as a potential owner, it voids the gas engine warranty of the manufacturer. So the choice becomes doing this to "new" car which then has no warranty, or doing it do an older car with miles already piled up on it.

Overall, for any wide acceptance, it would probably be best to have new cars coming off the production line, NG ready.
get rid of the EPA and problem solved!

come on, seriously, we all know that fighting wars "over oil" uses a lot of fuel (how ironic is that, anyhow?) and is even more "environmentally unfriendly".

let's take away at least some of the excuses for the kleptocracy and concentrate on energy independence.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
Unfortunately for your love, oil prices are going higher not through taxes, and not through supply and demand.
Oh, I'm aware that speculation also pushes up the price. I think that the fact that the world doesn't come to a screeching halt during speculative times is justification for keeping oil prices high (through variable taxation) all the time. Yes, it may slow down certain sectors of the economy short-term, but long-term the entire market will adjust. If we expect to survive after oil reserves run out in 60 years or so (as is predicted), then we ought to start planning now.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 AM

well, we can change direction or we can continue in the useless direction of funding projects going nowhere. we have this today:
White House-Backed Solar Energy Company Declares Bankruptcy

Just yesterday, there was no indication that Solyndra was in financial trouble. "Everything is fine," said former Solyndra employee Mohammad Qureshi. "Everything was okay. We are busy. We are working so hard." (end)

that's over half a billion dollars down the rathole. how can this happen in under 2 years? what the heck were they doing with that money, and who is going to be investigating this?

Public solar energy companies were known to be bleeding money. IndeedSolyndra is the third U.S. solar manufacturer to declare bankruptcy this month

where is all that money going, and who is benefiting from this?

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-01-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 AM

looks like there is more to the solyndra story:

Update: Solyndra's DOE Solar Loan Under Investigation : Greentech Media here's how the article starts:

What if they held a hearing and no one showed up?

That's what happened last week when the Office of Management and Budget Deputy Director Jeffrey Zients failed to show for the hearing to discuss OMB's role in the Solyndra DOE Loan Guarantee process.

side note, there is another taxpayer fail regarding a california congresswoman on the same site: (and remember the site is green friendly)
http://www.greentechmedia.com/articl...-of-the-Month/

i wonder how many stories you could find like this if you took the time and looked around?

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-01-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
They are in a Race-To-Bottom model.

PV Solar, at the mass-manufacturing level, is a Semiconductor business.

And it is the dirt simple level of Semiconductors -- no real new design, no real significant breakthroughs. Just production. These folks tried to gadget-up from that.

But all that means High Dollar fabs, to build it, and then on the back-end for sales, a production-construction supplier market.

At the next level with the Distributors and Install Contractors -- for dropping just a dime a Watt means big dollars, and the Distributors and Contractors will switch "brand loyalty" in a heartbeat.

Put that together and you have Very High Fixed Capital Costs, with a falling sales price.

If we were joking about what that creates, we would say "We are losing money on every sale, but trying to make up for it with volume."

Not so much a Solar, or Even White House or any Energy Problem in this.

These are projects that are NOT suitable for LOANS. Debt Does Not For US.

This is a very mind-boggling thing to a Nation of Wantabe Bankers, btw.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:36 PM

speaking of non-suitable loans, i saw this on denninger in the comments section on the solyndra story:
I have often reviewed this company for a credit line here and kept it real low despite pushback from the sales department and the parent company. (full disclosure - we are currently owed nothing, and we have no preference issues as we were currently in negotiations - well...we were- for a long term supply contract). We never recieved fiancial anything from these guys...which is why I never approved anything over $400,000 --small by our standards.

Now, my point is the DOE.. I am currently reviewing multiple credit lines for subsidiaries of Severstal North America. For those of you who don't know who Severstal is...they are a HUGE russia steel firm that went ape **** in 2006-2007 buying up plants here in the US. They recently sold 60% of North American operations for a huge loss after taking large losses on their operations.

IN JULY OF THIS YEAR, THE DOE SIGNED A $730.9 MILLION LOAN WITH SEVERSTAL NORTH AMERICA. The proceeds from the loan will be used for the construction and completion of Dearborn's finishing operations to produce the next generation of advanced high strength steels (AHSS) for AUTOMOTIVE aplication.

Can I get a WTF?? We have PLENTY of capacity here in the US for steel as demand is not as strong as many of the government reports indicate. I cover a ton of steel companies and production this year sucks, while inventories are as high as they were in 2009 and 2010. Now we are loaning $740 million of tax payer money to a foreign entity all for the purpose of more CONSTRUCTION jobs. This sounds more and more like Solyndra part 2 if you ask me. Who wants to bet these operations go***** up in a year and the tax payer is out another $700 million plus?????

just how much of taxpayer money is the DOE planning on giving away ?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:43 PM

regarding solyndra, (from the national review), goldman sachs was the advisor on the project-even after they had downgraded the solar industry.

Since Goldman was advising Solyndra on this project, did anyone in Chu’s Department of Energy question why taxpayers are guaranteeing the debt on a new solar plant for a market that Goldman’s own analysts have downgraded?

Both the owner of Solyndra AND the owner of the bank Obama set up to fast track guaranteed loans to ''green'' companies were BUNDLERS for Obama.
The loan was rushed through in only 41 days.
And these two Obama bundlers have run through $539 million in only 1 year and 3 months!
How do you even do that?

people need to start going to jail.

you rob a bank, you get arrested or shot.
you rob the taxpayers, you get to be president, get your butt bailed out by the taxpayers when you make poor decisions (forget capitalism!), or get awarded a giant bonus by the president's pay czar.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 AM

199 posts, read 300,781 times
**yawns** It's comical, actually. The "surprise" supply increase last week was offset by stocks rising...or was it the dollar falling...hope of economic recovery...hurricane...tension in the Middle East...more Fed easing? Put all of those in a hat and pick one out. The politicians REFUSE to acknowledge the fact that HIGH FUEL PRICES are the number one reason we can't have a sustainable recovery. Wages aren't increasing, but prices are. Fuel is at least 3x what it was not too long ago, and they wonder why demand is down for other goods. Wake the F up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics