Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 AM

137 posts, read 249,193 times

Advertisements

Mark Haines passed away this morning.
He was a morning anchor...my condolences to the family and CNBC.
Sorry to say I never liked the guy, he was abraisive, arrogant and appeared bored most of the time. He was a lawyer, perhaps he should have devoted all his time to that noble profession
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trocadero View Post
Mark Haines passed away this morning.
He was a morning anchor...my condolences to the family and CNBC.
Sorry to say I never liked the guy, he was abraisive, arrogant and appeared bored most of the time. He was a lawyer, perhaps he should have devoted all his time to that noble profession
I stopped watching CNBC after 2008 when they went overboard on their political commentary which showed they were in the tank for Wall Street. As for Mark Haynes I always like his biting sarcastic commentary and he was NOT afraid to challenge his guest if he felt it was warranted.

My condolences to his family.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
That is very sad. He was, in my estimation, the best anchor of any information programming in America. An extremely knowledgeable and seemingly likeable man, who never hesitated to say what he thought, regardless of the conventional wisdom. It is a sad day for media and journalism, he was just about the last of them. Heaven has just become a much better place.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:34 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trocadero View Post
He was a lawyer, perhaps he should have devoted all his time to that noble profession
Noble profession??????

Maybe he got out because he realized that "noble profession" would have killed him sooner than working at CNBC did.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM

4,538 posts, read 12,400,459 times
I thought Mark Haines had great charisma on the screen. There was something about his frumpy and rumpled demeanor that I found comfortable to watch. Contrary to what a previous poster said, I found his delivery calming not boring.

And seeing him get his Victoria Secret Angel wings was a hoot!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
SOTS (Stocks on the Street) at 6 am Pacific Time is the TV program that I have turned on and listed to every work day morning for many years. I mainly listen or watch the first 30 to 40 minutes while I get ready in the morning before leaving for work.

Mark Haines has been at CNBC since day one, 22 years ago. For the past 5 or 6 years, Erin Burnett was his co-host of SOTS until she left for a new contract with CNN less than 2 weeks ago. They were a great team, a most unlikely looking pair for TV co-hosts but that is what made them great together. Haines was this middle aged guy, an unwavering Mets fan, un-suave, un-egotistic, un-intellectual sounding, but down to earth and topped off with a healthy dose of reality, scepticism, sarcasm and humor. I liked the guy because he was unlike so many of those TV "pretty face" personalities who have an ego like Donald Trump. Haines was a spot on, great interviewer, especially when he was dealing with some financial wizard or CEO type who did not have their facts in order.

Who can forget the famous "briefcase indicator", a spoof that Haines started when Alan Greenspan arrived for the Federal monetary policy meetings to determine what the Fed's action might be. Or the "Haines Bottom" which he called when the stock market bottomed out in March 2009. Or when Haines stayed on air during the 9/11 attack for hours and hours, unscripted and rock solid. If you only saw him on air a few times for a few minutes, I would not be surprised if the impression was luke warm. But if you got to see the guy over a period of years dealing with a huge variety of people and events, you would give him credit for a job well done. He will probably be buried with a Met's cap, some tomato seeds in the pocket, wearing one of his American Flag ties. RIP.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
I watched him for years and never knew his name until this morning. (I am never able to watch the first hour, when he is presumably introduced.)

Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,452 times
that's sad. R.I.P.

however, since the OP was so blunt, i feel somewhat comfortable in saying the following about Mr. Haines: For some reason, i had fairly strong suspicions Mr. Haines was fed from an earpiece and saying what the control room wanted him to say. he'd pause a lot - that was the first clue for me. anyway, i can't prove any of this. just a feeling. for me it wasn't so much an issue of like versus dislike. rather, he made me wonder if he was basically a talking head.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,053,611 times
I liked the guy although he was second to Ludlow. But he knew his stuff and ran a good show and knew how to handle people.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Actually, the show is Squawk On The Street (not Stocks) - he was the original anchor. I loved Mark Haines. Watched him for years. Yes, there were many times he took his cue from his earpiece - as all those live, on-air people do. But if any of you had ever seen him do interviews of CEOs and politicians over the years, you would know he was no talking head. Many was the time he took his guests apart on air, piece by piece. He could not tolerate BS - Barney Frank, Charlie Wrangel, the CEO of Cisco, Grover Norquist and many, many others were on the receiving end of his relentless efforts to pierce through the crap.

The guy was smart, had tons of common sense and was the only reason I would turn on the TV at 8 a.m. Shocked and stunned on Wednesday when I saw the graphic on the screen. Wasn't even out of bed, bolted upright in disbelief. Ruined my day.

You had to know Mark. He was the best. Didn't watch his diet, though. Yesterday I learned he was also a smoker. I had noticed for a year at least, probably longer, his color wasn't good and I suspected there were problems. Whether or not he followed doctors orders or just did as he pleased, I don't know for sure, but am pretty sure it was probably the latter. His colleagues said he'd come to work with satchels of food. His latest favorite for breakfast was Cheetos and ketchup. So, I fear he died far too young, as did Tim Russert, because he didn't take care of himself. Sad, because he was such a wit and otherwise very smart. But he did love his burgers and his cheesecake.

You had to be a regular viewer to appreciate Mark. I now have no reason to turn on Squawk while I'm still in bed. His LIIIIVE From The Financial Capital of the World - was priceless. I read over at CNBC they began the show today with his voice doing the LIIIVE intro. Had I known, I would have tuned in.

Mornings will not be same. So sad - and probably quite preventable.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-26-2011 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics