Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:47 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,414,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, if they dont increase the debt limit, it would seem to me that its like passing a budget for $2 trillion rather than $3.7 trillion because they will only be able to spend revenue that actually comes in. it would effectively cut $1.7 trillion from the budget. at least thats how it seems to me. but it wouldnt harm our credit if we use the money coming in to pay our debt obligations, we would just have to cut spending elsewhere.
i don't believe that they would physically not spend it. is it because the money couldn't be borrowed, so they can't spend it? i'm not sure i buy it.

also...how would we cut $1.7 trillion from our 2011 budget? honest question...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I guess it really isn't a debt "limit" if they can keep raising it as they wish.
well played lad...

Old 04-13-2011, 12:53 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,654,737 times
Would you keep buying someone (son or daughter for example) a car if they kept wrecking it? Why do we keep giving politicians our money when they keep wasting it. You can go ahead and tax the rich higher, but it won't solve anything. The rich will find a way around paying more in taxes and even if they do it won't even put a dent in the overall budget. Add to the fact that politicians will just use what they see as more revenue to spend it and buy votes by promising more entitlements. Our country lost 228 billion in the month of February (28 days) alone and politicians and people are arguing cutting $30 billion. Wait until even more of all these entitlement programs start costing us more. The prescription program passed under Bush in 2003 or 2004 is a huge financial disaster waiting to happen. Add in all the new programs they add to the War on Poverty, Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, and our budget is gone before we even can spend on education or national defense. This is the future if we don't make a drastic change.

The fact is our country in the 1800's did a great job of always paying down debt and made an effort to do so. Our founding fathers looked as debt as an evil and borrowing as something only in a severe emergency. This is without an income tax and almost any of of the taxes we have today.

I believe everyone should have to pay a tax right now just to see how it feels and so they aren't looking at others to pay for them. Some of these people who think they are entitled to all these benefits and don't pay any taxes at all. Well, who do you think they are going to vote for...the person who guarantees them more "free" stuff, all at the expense of others.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i don't believe that they would physically not spend it. is it because the money couldn't be borrowed, so they can't spend it? i'm not sure i buy it.

also...how would we cut $1.7 trillion from our 2011 budget? honest question...
they cant really spend money they dont have. you have to sell treauries to get the money to spend and im assuming without an increase in the debt ceiling, they wont be able to do that. i guess the other option would be to print money.

i dont really know how to cut $1.7 trillion. but i know that if i personally had no choice but to cut x from my spending, id sit down and look at all my spending and start choosing what things i can live without and what things i cant. thats what our government will need to do.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,370,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
maybe voters should show that they can act like adults and manage their representatives? when is the last time you phoned or contacted your reps to voice your displeasure or support for something he/she wanted to spend on or cut from?
Actually, I called my house rep and two senators TODAY. And I call probably every other week to remind them that I care about the budget, deficit, and out-of-control spending, and a lot of other issues. It just stinks that I'm basically wasting my time by doing this because it's like talking to a brick wall.

(All of my reps are Democrats who act like there is no problem)

Old 04-13-2011, 02:13 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,790,821 times
Quote:
we have the fight to increase the debt limit coming up. i guarantee that no republican will ever receive my support or vote if they vote in favor of raising the debt limit. the whole "full faith and credit of the united states" is bs. the government will still have revenue, they will just have to prioritize where it goes.
If the debt ceiling is not raised the US will received a downgraded debt rating and we will be thrown into a recession worse than the one we're still in. The reality is that the debt ceiling must be raised. Is that necessarily a good thing? no. Is it necessary? Yes.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
If the debt ceiling is not raised the US will received a downgraded debt rating and we will be thrown into a recession worse than the one we're still in. The reality is that the debt ceiling must be raised. Is that necessarily a good thing? no. Is it necessary? Yes.
the problem will be that much worse if we let the debt accumulate until we reach a point of catastrophe.

no politician who votes to raise the debt limit will ever get my vote.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,790,821 times
Quote:
the problem will be that much worse if we let the debt accumulate until we reach a point of catastrophe.

no politician who votes to raise the debt limit will ever get my vote.
The doomsday prediction that our debt will get the better of us has been reinstated by Politicians- particularly Republicans- for decades. I agree that not addressing spending is a problem. I also think that trying to solve all of our spending problems via cutting spending is unrealistic. There needs to be both spending reductions and tax system overhauls.

But I digress. Not allowing the debt ceiling to rise would almost undoubtedly have an immediate impact on the economy. That versus something that is more of an economic theory.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
The doomsday prediction that our debt will get the better of us has been reinstated by Politicians- particularly Republicans- for decades. I agree that not addressing spending is a problem. I also think that trying to solve all of our spending problems via cutting spending is unrealistic. There needs to be both spending reductions and tax system overhauls.

But I digress. Not allowing the debt ceiling to rise would almost undoubtedly have an immediate impact on the economy. That versus something that is more of an economic theory.
tell ireland, greece, and portugal its just economic theory. following them will be spain, italy, england, then the euro will collapse.

there will be an impact but it will be better to do it now than allow the debt to grow. the good news is that i think this will all be coming to fruition much sooner than the general public expects, so the debt wont really be able to grow more than a couple trillion anyway.

it may make some sense to increase the debt ceiling if there were real cuts in the budget. this spending reduction should be planned out and done right. you cant really cut the military 50% overnight, but you should develop a plan to. but no politician will plan to make cuts, so you have to take away their power to spend.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
one funny thing happening now is that democrats voted against raising it while bush was in office and obama talked about what a bad idea it was, and now they are forced to backtrack and say that was a mistake because they need it increased.
2 possibilities...

1. it is hilarious and hypocritical as you pointed out.
2. they truly changed their mind (which i believe is possible for politicians to do without being hypocritical, but not in this case)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics