Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,940,891 times

Advertisements

Getting to the point where a new kind of wheelbarrow is going to be needed carrying our money to buy groceries...either that or add some 00000's to the currency.

Recall buying a loaf of bread for 0.09 cents in the 1930's while today it's over $3 a loaf.

Am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 12:38 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,205,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Recall buying a loaf of bread for 0.09 cents in the 1930's while today it's over $3 a loaf.
Sheesh where do you shop? I buy loaf of bread for half of what you do.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM

Surplus? bread at the day old store sells good quality bread for a $1.79 etc (2 for $3.50) and what I call bland crap bread for less. Bread etc is code dated as such so old and fresh are sold together in Calif. at the surplus? stores. Quantity may vary during the week.

All a matter of location...chain store volume and clientile of course.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
You can get wheat bread for $.99/loaf in California. Even a freshly made loaf of "french" bread is $1.49. The ingredients to bread are very cheap, wholesale flour is only around $.30~$.40/pound.

Its odd, whenever people complain about high food prices they always quote prices well beyond what I pay. Are people lying or just really bad shoppers?

Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM

Try Hostess surplus for a reasonable prices of what I quoted and check the code dates.

Normal loaf is 24 oz and smaller. Cannot see a chain store selling any quality loaf for 0.99 cents. Has to be OLD or ??? at most.

I was in the grocery trade for 23 yrs and know the system well.

Wheat or White...ingredients determine the price of a loaf.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I was in the grocery trade for 23 yrs and know the system well.

Wheat or White...ingredients determine the price of a loaf.
Apparently not, because the cost of the ingredients don't play a critical role in the price of the bread. The cost difference between a "gourmet" loaf and a basic loaf may be 10~20% yet the retail difference is 100~200% more. The ingredients are used strategically in price discrimination.

Retailers use very aggressive price discrimination with breads. Most grocery stores are going to have 3~4 levels of bread: 1.) Generic that is poorly packaged (usually the same bread in 2, just repackaged) 2.) Store bread that is packaged well, some additional variety. 3.) Gourmet loafs, same stuff as 2.) but with some added ingredients ("with honey", etc). 4.) Ultra Gourmet.

Anyhow, you can get a loaf wheat bread for $.99. You can get white bread for less. These are prices from large grocery stores. The ingredients for a basic wheat loaf are well below $.99 so I'm not sure why you think they must be questionable.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
When a dollar bought ten times as much bread, you had to work ten times as long to get that dollar. So what has changed?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:05 PM

Bread is actually cheaper today in real terms, but people are deeply entrenched in money illusion.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:41 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,205,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Its odd, whenever people complain about high food prices they always quote prices well beyond what I pay. Are people lying or just really bad shoppers?
I've noticed this too. At the Fry's (Kroger) up the street from me a loaf of bread is about $1.50, either as prepackaged or as a fresh baked loaf of french bread picked up in back from the bakery area. Day old from the bakery is up front for $0.99. I'm sure you can spend more but that is the case for everything.

Newenglandgirl was just complaining about the costs of chicken but apparently can't stoop to eating the same chicken that 99% of other people eat she needs the $10/pound organic birds. Sorry, if your food snobbery extends to paying 5x what I pay for chicken then complaints about "today's prices" just don't register with me, your are making expensive lifestyle choices.

I've seen people complain about salmon prices that I couldn't imagine are possible unless you only eat salmon that was caught by a trained grizzly bear perched over a waterfall.

Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Consumer Price Index, Kroger, Pfizer, Merck, Ford and CarMax: Business Wire Business News - MSN Money
The actual cost of raw wheat is a very small fraction of the actual cost of a loaf of bread, so one would not want to exaggerate the likely impact of higher prices in the commodity pits on prices at the checkout counter.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Newenglandgirl was just complaining about the costs of chicken but apparently can't stoop to eating the same chicken that 99% of other people eat she needs the $10/pound organic birds.
Yeah, I didn't get that. Even Health food stores like Sprouts (I think they have them in AZ) you can get all natural, etc Chicken for just a bit more than the grocery store. Maybe her chickens are given daily massages...I don't know.

I think it partially stems from not knowing how to cook well, but a lot of people seem to buy the same things every week. Yet the prices of most foods vary with the seasons, sales, etc. Some people solve this by shocking up, but I just buy whatever is cheap that week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics