Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,341,820 times

Advertisements

The AMERICAN DREAM is a new 30 minute animated film that shows you how you've been scammed by the most basic elements of our government system. All of us Americans strive for the American Dream, and this film shows you why your dream is getting farther and farther away. Do you know how your money is created? Or how banking works? Why did housing prices skyrocket and then plunge? Do you really know what the Federal Reserve System is and how it affects you every single day? THE AMERICAN DREAM takes an entertaining but hard hitting look at how the problems we have today are nothing new, and why leaders throughout our history have warned us and fought against the current type of financial system we have in America today. You will be challenged to investigate some very entrenched and powerful institutions in this nation, and hopefully encouraged to help get our nation back on track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv2oC...layer_embedded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,535,681 times
I have been trying to tell the folks here at CD about the unFederal Reserve. Many of them know about it, and are just ho-hum. A few are outraged, as I am. Then there's that group that just refuses to believe it. They think I'm wearing a tin-foil hat.

Until the sheeple of this country realize that paper dollars created out of thin air is NOT money, it's "currency", and that if you want to know what "money" is, it's gold and silver -- well, then we'll have something to build on. We had gold and silver money in this country, both less than a hundred years ago. Our grandparents and parents (the older ones) will remember this quite well. It's not a crazy, far-fetched idea. The unFederal Reserve is just depending on a few new generations of people who have no such memories, to continue its con.

Soon, the unFederal Reserve will be just a memory...

Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,316,227 times
There have been things that, according to the conventional wisdom, have always been called the American Dream, but in fact, for most people turn out to be The American Nightmare. Several that stand out are 1) owning your own business, and 2) owning your own home, 3) buying a new car.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,341,820 times
I watched this yesterday and it was good, but now the owners of the film have removed the video so disregard this thread if you have not already viewed the film.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 01-06-2011 at 08:17 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,983,407 times
What is the problem with "play" money so long as everybody agrees it has value and represents some form of wealth? I can still buy gasoline, groceries and electricity with my Federal Reserve Notes or with just electronic records stored somewhere. If I desire I can buy real silver and gold coins or blocks of metal any time I want.

I realize that the recent housing bubble was fueled by a fervent desire by the banking industry to make certain everyone had a mortgage. They created laws that increased their customer base so they could lend more. They were making some very ill informed lending decisions but have somehow avoided owning their own losses.

The problem is less about the form of the currency but with the speculative gambling the holders of that currency are so fond indulging.

I also believe “the Great American Dream” was slowly strangled when previously less than desirable people, primarily blacks and Hispanics, started to realize the dream by moving to the white suburbs. The Dream was supposed to be for proper White folks. Off shoring of much of our industry with the loss of opportunity for an increasingly non white workforce may be at least partially assigned to this ingrained racism. Although I am ashamed of this behavior I will not deny it happened.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,752,928 times
The American Dream is what you make it.
Some set very high goals and took on a lot of debt to try to achieve it; many of those are hurting now.
Others lived within/below their budgets and are content with what they have; these folks made their dream come true.

"Champagne taste on a beer budget" eventually catches up to you.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,253,557 times
The only ordinary folks achieving the American Dream are Powerball and Mega Millions winners, and they maybe represent 0.000001 of the population.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,237,334 times
I disagree zoom, I consider myself having achieved it and I haven't won ****.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,253,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I disagree zoom, I consider myself having achieved it and I haven't won ****.
Maybe you're worth more than the $180 million before taxes the two winners recently split, who knows.

With the coming inflation, it's going to take that much just to get by.

You really need to be watching Glenn Beck, his ice cream is skyrocketing in price.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,237,334 times
Ah, so what you meant was that if your predictions of massive inflation come, and wages/returns don't have a similar increase, then the many who actually have achieved the American dream will suddenly not have it any more. Totally different statement.

I've never watched Glenn Beck in my life, and if he makes me sound as irrational as you do I won't start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics